ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor problem...

Trafic 140dci
Picked up a BG 182 today with a few problems, one of which being the starter motor, the seller (good mate of mine, forum user too) went to start it today at work and nothing happened, when the car came to life after a bump start he was certain it was the starter motor. Although it's since been working fine, no noises or any thing, just an engine light come up on the dash. But apparently this is from bump starting the car.

So is my starter motor shot? It's only 2 years old and was a patten part.

If not, what else could it be?

Thanks

Lewis

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
When you say dead, is it making any noises when you try and start it, like a relay clicking, or is it just dead as in, turn, nothing?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
This happened on my 1.2 before. Was the little spade connector being corroded. Gave it a good clean up etc and worked fine.
When it wasn't working it wasn't turning over at all or no clicking. Hope this helps.

Trafic 140dci
Could be the starter motor or an intermittent battery earth problem,
i'd check the earths first before buying a new part.

Doubt it will be a battery earth as the dash lit up, but will check the other earths.

This happened on my 1.2 before. Was the little spade connector being corroded. Gave it a good clean up etc and worked fine.
When it wasn't working it wasn't turning over at all or no clicking. Hope this helps.

I will have a look, actually had a similar thing happen on an LDV van.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Happened on my mates 1.2 last week. I cleaned up the spade connector on starter motor and it worked straight away. Turned over all fine etc.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
When I got mine back from mapping my starter was fried. As said the little spade terminals corrode, might start occasionally. You should hear the solenoid click loudly and try to engage. If not the solenoid might be stuck. Smack the starter with something

Focus
FYI Lewis (was my car btw) the solenoid did click loudly so does indeed sound like starter!

Trafic 140dci
It's worked perfectly today, think i'm gonna check all the wires and play it by ear tbh, i really don't want to change it as its a PITA to change!

Trafic 140dci
Ok so it's been working fine since i got the car and today as i went to leave Tesco tonight, it didnt start, just heard a clicking, sounded like it was from the interior tbh. But after a few attempts it worked, got 2 miles up the road and the STOP and handbrake light came on...

Ideas? Although i guess this mean the starter motor needs to be changed :(

Megane r26
Ok so it's been working fine since i got the car and today as i went to leave Tesco tonight, it didnt start, just heard a clicking, sounded like it was from the interior tbh. But after a few attempts it worked, got 2 miles up the road and the STOP and handbrake light came on...

Ideas? Although i guess this mean the starter motor needs to be changed :(

Sounds like the starters had it tbh, had a similar problem on an old renault 5 gt turbo couple of years back. Turned out the heatsheild was missing an the starter was getting to hot.

As people have said, sounds like the starters on it's last legs. Mine started off as just an intermittent problem and eventually it died completely. As for changing them you can get them out from the top with a bit of twisting and fiddling.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Try the spade connectors first though mate. It's a cheaper fix.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ye no worries Dave. Literally lift up your bonnet. Look down to left of engine below front grille and you see your starter motor with a spade connector on it. Pull it off. Spray some s**t on. Clean it up and re fit. Easy.

That's what the AA man did before I knew what the problem was.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
If it's clicking and not engaging it's the spade terminals are corroded to f**k, you need a new starter

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I only have the relay clicking first thing in the morning or when the engines been cold for quite a few hours,
also it only does it every now and again, if I leave the ignition on for 30secs it tends not to do it.