ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting a blog - which one?

I'm looking at starting a small blog for my photography and just stuff in general but not sure which one.

Looking for now at a stand alone one thats free with little fuss.

Think I have narrowed it down to wordpress.com (not org as not really wanting to host it) or blogger. Looked at Tumblr but think this is more a twitter type thing.

Opinions/advice please!

Cayman S Edition 1
Twitter.
When I was shooting glamour, it was the best platform for networking.

182 T
Wordpress.com has just had a massive overhaul and now has some tidy apps to use too. Nice platform for people who dont want to do the techy side of website management.

Twitter is ok I guess, but kind of limited if you want to write a bit more.

My twitter handle is also taken would need to think of something else!

Wordpress is free so I guess if I don't like it, no big deal!

Just my name is taken... so do I go:

justinakehurstblog.wordpress.com
or
justinakehurstphotography.wordpress.com

Its difficult as shoter characters might be better, but including photography might also be a better option. Although this will ultimatly be linked on the my photography website/facebook so not sure if thats the biggest issue.

@JJ! , why not use any Wordpress subdomain then sign up for a custom domain through www.123-reg.co.uk

They cost about £5 for 2 years!

yeah I will be buying a domain to host new site when its built but just wanted to start a stand alone blog for the moment just to try it out - then probably map the blog in to the website which is about £10 I think.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
yeah I will be buying a domain to host new site when its built but just wanted to start a stand alone blog for the moment just to try it out - then probably a link on the site to the blog of intergrate it in to the website.
Hosting and domains are completely different thing mate.

Keep your WP site hosted with them but buy www.jjphotos.co.uk (example) and point that domain to your long wordpress one.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I use wordpress. I bought the domain name too so it's not Name.Wordpress.com
I'm terrible with websites and wouldn't even know where to start with making my own one from scratch either so WP was the simplest solution for me.

What is your company name? If it's Justin Akehurst Photography, which is written on your business cards etc then try and match it rather than shortening it.

Making it short and 'easy' to remember doesn't keep your brand consistent, which is equally as important IMO as the fear of people not remembering.

What is your company name? If it's Justin Akehurst Photography, which is written on your business cards etc then try and match it rather than shortening it.

Making it short and 'easy' to remember doesn't keep your brand consistent, which is equally as important IMO as the fear of people not remembering.

Good and valid point - facebook page and website is using Justin Akehurst Photography

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've thought about setting up a biking blog a few times, or doing V logging.

I'm well connected in the bike world, but time is my biggest constraint.

Good luck.

Wordpress.com is so simple and easy and looks good for a simple blog.

I might look in to WordPress.org which is far less limiting. Anyone downloaded and used WordPress? Is it pretty easy to use?

Only want a simple blog, are templates easily available and easy to edit?

I know it will need hosting etc but might be a better option long term.

182 T
Yes. Look at heartinternet for hosting they have auto installers for wordpress so you don't have to mess about with the database and permissions, you just go through the WP install which is easy.

Wordpress is ok, I'm using Ghost atm, but not sure you can get easy hosting for it as it runs on Node.js.

Runs here currently; http://blog.matthew-evans.info/

Wordpress is ok, I'd definitely keep it hosted with them if you do use, but it's rather large and cumbersome nowadays, with constant security issues.

Looked at ghost - about $10 a month I think?

I might just stick with the hosted wordpress one for now - you can get some quite nice themes and its pretty simple.