ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting an engine for first time after a re-build?

Not necessarily a re-build for mine but the cams and lifters have been changed along with all the engine ancillaries so the engine is dry of oil. So how do I go about starting it back up for the first time? The obvious issue is oil getting around the engine quick enough. I was thinking of pulling the injector plug on the fuel rail and cranking the starter to get the oil pump going, but not so sure it will get enough pressure to move the oil upwards.

Thoughts?

Yeah, i'd do it for about 30 seconds if you've got a decent enough battery or jump box.
The race battery is w**k on mine so I was going to connect jump leads to it from the Octavias battery and do it that way? Also crank it in short bursts or a single 30s burst?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I usually just yank the injector plug(s) and turn it over until the oil light go's out.
Don't go mad tho, don't wanna overheat the starter motor.

Is it worth dropping a teaspoon of engine oil onto the pistons through the plug holes?

I need to do to the same soon and did oil the bores before timing it all up, but I know it creeps downwards thanks to gravity so am wondering if oil on the piston faces would extend out to the edges / rings.

You're cranking it at a relatively low speed with no load so it should be alrite.
Cool, cheers for the confirmation - I just fear bore score from foreign objects! (It's bad enough that I scratched one of the bores very slightly while cleaning a piston face... idiot!! 🤦‍♂️ )