ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting engine performance

Clio 2 1.4 Etoile 2001
Hey guys

Firstly some details. My car is a Clio 2001 1.4 Etoile (Y reg). I bought it 2nd hand in 2005 with 32000 miles on the clock. It was in very good nick (had it checked out by the AA). Car now has 46000 (so 14000 in 2 years). I have just had my 5 year service. It cost me £1500 - they replaced the timing belt, an ignition coil, the rear bushes and the rest was the usual stuff. Ignition coil went right before the service, thats really why it went in. I was originally going to wait till August for the service but I couldnt drive with only 4 cyclinders. So the car should be almost perfect now after all that money spent.

The trouble I am having (and I have had this from day 1 but hasnt gotten any better since service) is that when I start the car first thing after a period of inactivity (i.e. the engine is cold), until it warms up it runs ragged in first and second gear.

For example, I get in in the morning, turn on and ease out of my parking bay. As I start off down the road the car will jerk, almost like when you try to start in too high a gear (i.e. not enough power to weight) or you are running out of petrol. So I normally change to second cause this makes it a bit better, but as I accelerate if I take my foot of the pedal at all, the car slows very sharply. It is very hard to explain I am sorry if I am doing a bad job.

This only seems to happen when cold, as if I use the low gears later on (i.e. at traffic light start off) then they work normally (well as I guess normal should be). First is very powerful and I cant stay in it for long before the revs start rocketing, but second is also very powerful (I can start in 2nd sometimes if it is flat).

I dont pretend to know everything about cars, but I had an old banger of a Vauxhall Opel 1981 model as my first car before electronics and worked a lot on that. If this is not just a weird renaul thing, then I would hazard a guess at it being something to do with fuel flow or the combustion process. However I have put that fuel cleaner stuff in, and the garage said the magi computer didnt report any other faults.

The other thing I have always noticed is that the gear stick moves in your hand when you accelerate etc. I have never noticed this in any other cars and just took it as being a Renault thing. Is this right?

Any help/suggestions I would appreciate. I thought all of this would have been sorted by the massively expensive service, and I am thinking of taking it back and complaining that they didnt sort out the problem if there is indeed one.

Many thanks
Raab

Deffo complain if it went in to sort it out and they havn't sorted it. Also the stick moving when accelerating maybe a gearbox/engine mount given up the ghost??? (I'm no mechanic but felt bad that no one else had responded)

Clio 2 1.4 Etoile 2001
thanks for the reply mate. When I drive I have the habit of leaving my left hand resting on the gear lever so thats why I notice. Does your car do something similar at all?

Clio 1.2 16V
The 1st gear jerk stuff is pretty normal, i reverse out of the drive with the revs completely unstable, goes fine after a few minutes just gotta give it time to warm up and the choke to kick in. If you rev it a little in neutral when you start up then let the revs settle just below the 1k RPM mark you'll notice its smoother. The gear stick moving isn't really normal though do you mean it pops out of gear?

M

mini-valver

gearstick moving is the dogbone mount most probably. £1500 for a service? They saw you coming mate, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask......

Clio 2 1.4 Etoile 2001
what should I have been looking at for a 5 year service. I had it done by a proper Renault place (Evans Halshaw), and it was mainly the big parts that cost so much. The ignition coil was £130. the timing belt £389, the rear bushes £220. Those 3 alone are over £700. Oh I also had a power steering leak that was another £150 or so.

And what I meant about the gear stick was that you get feedback through it of your acceleration (i.e. I push the pedal down and feel it through the gearstick).

Finally, anything that can be done to reduce the morning jerkiness? I just dont expect that from a modern day car, maybe an old piece of rubbish from 1980 but not a newish car in really good condition.

Thanks
Raab

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
My 1.4 16v Si is EXACTLY the same as this. It really does run like turd when it's cold. It stinks too. Of oil. Even though it's only done 60k.