ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Issue (Immobiliser related)

Evo 8 MR
Right I'm posting this as none of the threads in the search seem to provide any solid fix for this issue and I want as many of the people in the know to have their say on this.

I had this problem a while ago which was fixed by replacing both ignition relays under the bonnet and it's worked fine for about a month or so.

However this afternoon it's come back with a vengeance, everytime I put the key in and turned the electrics on the little red dot on the dash would stay on permanently aswell as the STOP light. When I turn the key there is a slight click noise from the interior, the same noise that can be heard when the wipers go on and off.

If I turn it all the way in one go I can get the starter to spin but only for a few spins and then it stops itself.

After about 45 minutes including leaving it sat locked for about 15-20 minutes it finally started and I knew it would as I heard the fuel pump prime. Surely the relays I replaced can't have blown otherwise it wouldn't work at all?

I'm really paranoid now as it could do it anytime and I'm at a loose end as I have no idea what is causing this issue. It's intermittent still as I tried it when I got home and it worked fine so I'm on eggshells so to speak atm.

Does anyone have any input on this, it would be great if there was a simple answer as to what it is, I know different people have fixed it doing different things but I just don't know where to start.

My only idea is maybe if I get a Toad alarm fitted by one of those mobile companys, would that replace the standard immobiliser does anyone know?

Any help is appreciated.

Megane dci 130
Normally means the ECU is not being powered up. You will more than likely have a rotten wire somewhere unfortunately.

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
as above , check voltage readings to ecu , and good earths , normally the culprit.

Black Gold Trophy
fitting an aftermarket alarm wont help, the standard ECU needs to read the code from the key in order to start, that is the standard immobiliser

Da

Less
I was about to say, you can't bypass the OE immobiliser as it's part of the ECU.

Does sound like a power issue mate.

Evo 8 MR
Normally means the ECU is not being powered up. You will more than likely have a rotten wire somewhere unfortunately.

as above , check voltage readings to ecu , and good earths , normally the culprit.

I would agree with these replies but it's intermittent, it's been working okay since the meet on Sunday.

I've just payed for a decoder ring from cliospares as it's not expensive so worth a try.

My gut feeling is that it's the key, I've no second key to test though.

The car is only on 45k miles too so I don't believe it's anything on the car but we will see.

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
if you only have one key you should get a spare anyway.
and seen wiring fault on cars with alot less than 45k , and plenty of them are intermittant .

Evo 8 MR
The way I see it now its either, the decoder ring, the key or the UCH.

I'm gonna replace the decoder ring first followed by a new key, I just hope I don't have to get a new UCH.

Evo 8 MR
I've replaced the decoder ring, cheap second hand from Cliospares but guaranteed working.

It's a lot better but it still does it occasionally. When it flashes at me I always turn it all the way back then all the way forward to start it.

Otherwise if I keep letting it flash it will eventually stay solid and then there's no way of starting it.

clio sport 172
Im also having this sort of problem lads iv got 2 keys and 1 will open it but bat must have gone in other anyways its been workin for a few days then i went to go out in it the other day and it just didnt want to start just all ignition lights come on then nothin happens so i got out locked it n did the same again some times it usually works but now its just sittin on my drive not wantin to start any ideas lads
and would a code reader tell me wots wrong cheers .....