ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Issue - Not sure what to try next

I have an intermittent starting issue that is doing my nut in. Basically since November time-ish my Clio sometimes (50%) takes a few goes to start. I've never been stranded as it almost always starts second time. I have aswell for the record scoured the forum and read all the posts but posting to see if anyone offers anything new.

Key in, turn to start and then either a) Starter motor turns a few times and just dies with a puff of air and I have to back key off and go again or b) starter motor keeps turning but engine wont fire until I back key off and try again, usually resulting in it spluttering into starting with a pop from the exhaust. Also, I'm sure in scenario A that the tripometer resets.

I have replaced battery with new, TDC with new, replaced coils and HT's with used, replaced an injector with new as it was getting a resistance of around 8-9ohms and the rest were at 14.9-15.2, done a quick hour job of removing earths, giving them a quick clean and returning, sprayed fuses/relays with contact cleaner. Car isn't running the NGK plugs everyone recommends but a Bosch set from previous owner, but surely that wouldn't produce this issue? I've used contact cleaner on various different sensors/plugs too. Would a shoddy TDC install still produce bad TDC symptoms? My crimping job wasn't the best on the new loom but I thought it'd suffice. Car was decatted in September, no other mods, was thinking about swapping Lambdas but again not sure if this would cause this intermittent start issue. Whats next?

I've read about the starter spades need cleaning up but I just can't fathom how you get access to it to clean the contacts without removing everything, especially because you can barely even see the contacts from anywhere let alone clean them up? Pretty close to just throwing it to Rensport and telling them to sort it but that's not the way I've ever done it with other cars and I am determined not to let the 182 beat me!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If the starters stopping then it sounds like thats your issue, Remove the airbox and you can get at it.

If its not the starter, sounds like it could be a low pressure fueling issue.

If the starters stopping then it sounds like thats your issue, Remove the airbox and you can get at it.

Yeah I'm obviously swaying towards that next like but it just looks like a pig. I removed the airbox and inlet manifold to gain access but it still looked like a proper t**t, still couldn't even get an eye on the spade connector! I guess drivers wheel arch would be easiest angle of attack to just clean up the connection?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah I'm obviously swaying towards that next like but it just looks like a pig. I removed the airbox and inlet manifold to gain access but it still looked like a proper t**t, still couldn't even get an eye on the spade connector! I guess drivers wheel arch would be easiest angle of attack to just clean up the connection?

It’s a little bit of a t**t to get at but definitely doable.
There is a guide somewhere but I can’t find it, this thread has the information you need tho.

It’s a little bit of a t**t to get at but definitely doable.
There is a guide somewhere but I can’t find it, this thread has the information you need tho.

Cheers, it looks as if I should be able to access the wires through the arch so I'll have another look! Cheers

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Out of interest (not to sound confrontational) but how would a low fuelling issue cause the trip to reset? To me that's pointing towards a power issue ie voltage drop as the battery is unable to maintain power during cranking, is the clock lost too? . That's just a thought I'm nowhere near a mechanic.

Out of interest (not to sound confrontational) but how would a low fuelling issue cause the trip to reset? To me that's pointing towards a power issue ie voltage drop as the battery is unable to maintain power during cranking, is the clock lost too? . That's just a thought I'm nowhere near a mechanic.

I originally thought fuelling issue but I'm not convinced, it's definitely an option if the starter motor isn't my problem at this point. My friends straight away thought fuel. Clock isn't lost, just the trp, very odd. Lights don't even dim or anything that would indicate shite power source...

One thing to note I get a ton of rapid clicking the second time I turn the key to accesories coming from behind the dash area/start area, can't pinpoint it exactly, normally I wait for this clicking to go then it starts. But when the clicking ends, the heater comes on (if it's set to blow) so I'm not entirely sure if it's even related.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

It wouldn’t I just assumed If the op ruled out starter issues first and it’s getting a spark, then fuel would be the next thing to look at.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Multi meter on the starter motor and see if it’s drawing all the power from everything else/shorting.

So I checked fault codes and just got the Cyl 4 misfire which has been rectified with the new injector. I cleaned the spade connector as well as possible with the space I had and although starting seems to feel a lot better it had a wobble this morning again at 0 degrees outside. Is it worth cleaning the other connector on the Starter too, they didn't look corroded or anything? I only did the little spade. Could it be the starter solenoid sticking? I know they dont like heat and mine doesn't appear to have the heatshield on.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look in the fuse box in the front right side of the engine bay. Remove relays and clean up all contacts you can with sand paper.

Worth a try as my car wouldn’t start when I first got it, cleaned up the fuse box connections and it’s been perfect for the last couple of years since.

So same symptoms have been happening since. However, early last week I turned the key and got nothing, backed the key off and went again and it started allbeit a bit hesitantly again with all the mental clicking just behind the clocks for about 5 seconds.

This morning, I went to Tesco and for the second time, turned the key and got nothing, second time it fired up again with all the clicking heind the clocks but the needle on the speedo were vibrating too! However, this time it'd also reset the radio code etc. Got to Tesco, came back out (after having to drop 3 people for a bottle of bleach) and it just turned and turned and turned without firing on first try, second try started as normal.

This is driving me absolutely insane, gonna get the starter changed this week but I have a feeling its not that. Or am I possibly fighting multiple issues here?

Any ideas? It's pissing me off as it's a great example otherwise, feeling like I might just mothball it if I can't solve it. I never get stranded per se as it always starts second time but still. I've bought a house now so fancying something a bit nicer again.