ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting issue, turn key, relay clicks but starter motor doesnt engage

K4M ph2
Hi guys,

Ive had this intermittent fault for a while now, sometimes when i turn the ignition on nothing happens, all i get is a relay click from under the glovebox but the starter motor doesnt come to life. for a few days it will be fine and then i get a couple of days where it does this every time.

With a bit of persistance and turning the key back and forth numerous times it starts apart from today where ive had to leave the car at work after trying for around 15 mins.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? its driving me insane now.

Cheers,

Keiran

172 Cup
Starter motor solenoid sticking, get your wheel brace and give it a whack, should free it. Time for a new starter motor.

BPY

16v 1.2
Spade connector to starter motor. Clean connection.
Renault%20starter%20motor.jpg

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What BPY said - that seems to be the most common issue.

It can be hard to reach - I used to find a few wiggles of the corrugated trunking that runs down the back of the block was sufficient to get it started.

Eventually, I ended up replacing the connector when changing the starter.