ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Issue...

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Evening All,

A few weekends ago I collected my 182 from storage. It has been parked up since August 2020 and not moved since then.

Took a booster pack, started first time. Drove the car home and on a few occasions it felt like it lost total power, drove home steady and seemed fine including a few heavy right foot moments.

Upon arriving home I've not not been able to start the car, it is currently doing this:

I've done the following to helps resolve to no avail:

1. New battery
  2. Run a jump lead from battery negative to earth
  3. Checked the g.box earth and all appears ok (although maybe further investigate on this point may be required).

It may or may not be worth noting the car is a Clio 182 Cup running EPAS.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and thanks in advance.

Tom

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked all the know corrosion points, like the white plug in the fuse box?
Can’t get your link to work so can’t see what it’s doing.
Other obvious possibility is old fuel or bad injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I've only spend a small amount of time on the Clio due to life however I've checked the following:
  1. The battery is putting out the correct voltage (I checked on a multimeter)
  2. I've checked the negative from the battery to the earth and cleaned it up.
Unfortunately neither have helped. I did poke my head under the car to check the gearbox earth strap and it looked good however I'll hopefully jack the car up tonight and have a proper look.

I'll then start working through various corrosion points as suggested by @robzracing

Any areas to check would be welcomed.

Tom

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Something up with your dash by the looks of it , fuel needle and revs are in the wrong place screen doesn’t turn on etc.

Try switching out the “STOP” fuse.

If that doesn’t work check the relays under the passenger dash.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Something up with your dash by the looks of it , fuel needle and revs are in the wrong place screen doesn’t turn on etc.

Try switching out the “STOP” fuse.

If that doesn’t work check the relays under the passenger dash.

Thanks.

Someone else noticed the dash issue on IG IIRC. I missed it and forgot until you just mentioned it.

I’ll give that a go.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Only just seen this mate, have you still had no luck?

No, not yet unfortunately. I spent a good few hours last night checking the “obvious” areas. But I’ll have another play around this evening.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Not sure what help i can offer mate, but if you need a hand, i'll help if i can. :)

Thanks mate.

I’ll keep trying to narrow the issues down and then hopefully it’ll be obvious what the issue is.

Thanks for the offer @frayz

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Have you had the battery off and then back on again. Not sure if Renaults are the same, but you can rest the PCM on Fords by removing the battery.

I'm sure I have, but I'll give it a go again tonight.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks.

Someone else noticed the dash issue on IG IIRC. I missed it and forgot until you just mentioned it.

I’ll give that a go.

Had a similar issue with mine after it had been sat so defo worth a go.
I went through everything else before I tried it, typically. :LOL:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Had a similar issue with mine after it had been sat so defo worth a go.
I went through everything else before I tried it, typically. :LOL:

I’ll definitely give this a go tonight.

When you say the stop fuse I assume you mean f2 in this pic?

image.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've only spend a small amount of time on the Clio due to life however I've checked the following:
  1. The battery is putting out the correct voltage (I checked on a multimeter)
  2. I've checked the negative from the battery to the earth and cleaned it up.
Unfortunately neither have helped. I did poke my head under the car to check the gearbox earth strap and it looked good however I'll hopefully jack the car up tonight and have a proper look.

I'll then start working through various corrosion points as suggested by @robzracing

Any areas to check would be welcomed.

Tom
You say it has the correct voltage, what is that voltage?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
12.8v is fine. I would try to get it plugged into CLIP as you may have a UCH imob code which needs clearing.

Methodically go through each fuse and check them, however, I would stress that any blown fuse generally indicates another issue which needs addressing.
Do you get any power to things like the radio on the first ignition click?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
12.8v is fine. I would try to get it plugged into CLIP as you may have a UCH imob code which needs clearing.

Methodically go through each fuse and check them, however, I would stress that any blown fuse generally indicates another issue which needs addressing.
Do you get any power to things like the radio on the first ignition click?

Thanks @GrahamS

I'll check the power to radio etc tomorrow and update accordingly.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
UPDATE - Sunday 2nd May 2021

It works!? I've no idea what caused the car to start working, the only item I touched was the Radio to ensure it was working to report back to @GrahamS

I put the key to position 1, entered the radio code and then it worked.

I have now tested it at least 30 times over the past 24 hours and worked every time. Could the Radio have caused the issue? Would seem odd IMO, however I'll hopefully get the car out tomorrow and see if I can find any other reasons what could have caused the fault? as I'm not convinced its fixed for good and I hate having an issues in the back of my mind when attending a trackday.

Keep you all posted.

Tom

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Haha always the way. I suspect a relay based on that report, got millions here if you want any spares, all going in the bin otherwise.

Radio isn’t in the main can network so that would only be a strange coincidence.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
UPDATE - Monday 17th May 2021

Over the past few weeks I've started the car (sat in the garage) and its started every time, however on Sunday I thought I would take the car for a test drive to ensure the issues didn't return and unfortunately it did.

Started perfectly, pulled it out the drive, let it run for a good 5 mins to warm up and went to pull off my drive, all power cut. I was then unable to get it started again.

I therefore set about changing the gearbox earth (I cleaned up the mating points and bolts) and unfortunately the issues remains although now slightly different.

If you watch until the end you can see that the red handbrake light remain (albeit faded) which I assume is an improvement and also leads to be to believe it's still an earthing issue.

New video (recorded last night around 9pm)

Any suggestions welcomed.

Tom