ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problem!

111s
Before starting, with the key on the first click the flashing imobilliser light (centre of the dash) usually remains illuminated and it starts no problem. However, this intermittant problem started about 2 weeks ago (only on fridays!!!!)where it will continue to flash and the starter won't even turn over. (imobillised??) Then after a couple of times of trying the light will remain on, the sarter will turn the engine over but only for about 4 seconds before it just stops. First time i got it towed home then thought' i'll give it another try'. ba$tard thing struck striaght up. The second time i thought maybe the starter so put it in 1st and rocked it, tried it again and it started. Any idea's as to whether it'll be a starter or imobilliser problem or both? Any common faults? The car is a UK 2002 mk2 172 with 38k on it.

Help please!!!

172 cup TT
I had the same problem a year ago... i finally had a new engine under warrenty BUT im pretty sure this wasnt related to the non starting problem so dont fret... the reason im replying now is that i just tried to move my car round the corner and the problem was BACK!!!!!..... Basically, i try to start it and it seems dead, makes no noise what so ever.. i start to question myself and have i turned the key far enough.. but no, same problem as before on the old engine... mines a 172 cup... i hope this doesnt start again as it realy left me stranded quite a few times needing to be towed away but when it got back home it started straight away, just like the movement of the car kicked something into life!!!..

Darko, if i hear anything which helps me i'll let you know too and can you do the same plz yeh? - Im hoping this was just a one off, but im worried it has returned and every 3rd or 4th start it will just NOT start... will let you know if i get it again soon...

Cheers

111s
Will do. Have you questioned any of the tuners on the problem? GDI or hillpower? It could just be a loose connection or bad earth somewhere i guess.

The 'moving it' thing bringing it back to life was what made me think it might be the starter motor.

Last edited:
  172 cup TT
ermm... well yeh i did last time but as its only just happened this morning i havent... I was only up at Andys the other week but was fine then.

I had so much work done before the new engine and Andy recommended it being my Top dead center sensor... think that fixed it if i remember rightly.. hmm unsure now as so much was done and it was over a year ago.. i had my power steering replaced, starter motor, battery, engine, exhaust, gearbox, clutch and various sensors under warrenty, so take your pick!! what it was..

Ive just been out in her and started fine 3 times.. hopefully it was a strange prob...

hopefully!

111s
Mine's only done it twice in 2 weeks, it just doesn't give me any confidence in taking the car long distance.... or anywhere for that matter, knowing its a 'starting lottery'.
TDC sensor sounds like a good place to start. Any idea on price?

172 cup TT
no idea on price mate... was warrenty job!.. i think they spent more than the price of my car repairing it :)

And Kilo, thanks.. what exactly do you mean?.. have you had this problem?... it does seem like it could be the imobiliser as this wouldnt have been changed with the engine so is still standard... The real problem with this problem is getting people to look into it when it cant be recreated at will!!.. ive started a txt pad on my desktop with instances, i.e time date, if it started up what i did, fuel level etc etc... only one entry at the moment and thats todays!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
make sure the map sensor connection is good... you need a multimeter to trace it back to the ecu... pin 16 i think needs to link to the middle map sensor conenction.. if its intermittent it will cause starting problems

172 cup TT
ah right of course.. why didnt i think of that :)

Cheers Andy.. If she does it again i'll be making you a visit again buddy...

111s
FRIDAY 13th!!!!!
Car wouldn't start agian this morning...sods law!
Anyway,turned the key, immobilliser light (i assume this is the standard immobilliser light??!) continues to flash, the stop light is lit along with the battery light and no start up. However after lifting the bonnet, to look for any obvious loose connections etc and trying again there is a 'whine' or very low volume buzzer sounding. (Similar to the alarm when you leave your door open and arm it but a lot quieter.) It sounded like it was coming from the throttle body? Slightly pissed off at the thought of biking to work i decided to give it a tap on doing this it sounded like a relay bouncing between contacts. Tried the key again and it came to life. Could this be a throttle body fault? Would a throttle body fault cause the stop light to remain? What about the flashing LED in the centre of the display?
This has only happened 3 or 4 times since november when it first occurred. The car has atleast 2 starts a day.
Any help or idea's?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Mine makes that buzzing/whining noise when on ignition, I thought it was the injectors priming? Touch wood not had any starting issue!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
DARKO said:
FRIDAY 13th!!!!!
connections etc and trying again there is a 'whine' or very low volume buzzer sounding. (Similar to the alarm when you leave your door open and arm it but a lot quieter.) It sounded like it was coming from the throttle body?

the TB does make that sound, its fairly normal...

however if its really loud then its quite possible that its faulty...

there are a few that are going wrong now...

have you had a diagnostic check done on the car recently?

Andy

111s
Nope, never! The car was serviced by dixon renault in lincoln when it was under warranty, and over that 2 year period i came to the conclusion there were a bunch of trained chimps capable of f*ck all useful. I suppose i might have to brave the fools again. Will they charge for a plug in? How much?
I thought it odd that the noise changed with slight percussion adjustment. Thanks for the ongoing help!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
yes the "chimps" as you put it will charge for a diagnostic session.

but it will flag any stored fault codes..

where abouts are you based... we have a scanner here that should show the faults.

Andy

Did anyone find out what the prob was here?

Sounds like i have exactly the same prob.
Its only just started since having my clutch done, dont wanna start blaming the mechanic when its not him.