ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Std 172 on full cup suspension? Pics?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Hi,
I've searched and searched (probably still missed it) but I'm looking for pictures of a std 172 on 172 cup shocks and springs.
Looking at whether it's be a worthwhile thing to do, instead of going full setup like coilovers or cooksports
The reason I ask is that cups always look higher at the front, but not sure if that's the fact it weighs less than a std 172.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
If you find a picture of a 172 cup (say, on google image search, maybe), then you'll have your answer.

Weight difference is pretty much negligible in the real world, nothing to obsess about. Not eating for a day and a dose of laxatives delivers similar differences between cup and non-cup.
And since about 90% of the weight of th car is the engine, directly over the front axle, it is even less likely to be affect by the 3kg missing from the cabin.

That said, the cup suspension, if I recall correctly, can need more doing than just swapping the struts....something about hub sizes or something, I don't know.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
will look pretty much exactly the same. just get the eibach springs on your std shocks (sportline not proline)

Listerine & Poledo
Only thing Id add to that is regarding the state of your current shocks. If they have 6-digit mileage on them, best to swap them out if you're going to lower it.
As much as the cost then may add up to a set of cheap coilovers, the end result may not be as good.
There's possibly some used, quality Coilover available on CS from someone.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Right thank you for the reply. I did think that they would sit the same although I'm sure the cup 172 is meant to be slightly lower than a std 172. Hence me thinking that the complete set up would sit lower and be stiffer too.
I know with my 182 I fitted 182 cup springs and it did lower it slightly and stiffen it a litte too. Noticeable but without going down the eibach route. Hence me thinking the same would apply. My shocks are on 76k and feel ok to be honest without any ill effects so may just look at 182 cup springs.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A full 3mm lower. A low car doesn't necessarily mean better handling hence the thread regarding roll centre correction.

Springs from Renault are 90-100 quid each. I know I bought one for my Cup as it had been replaced with the wrong spring. Hence the reason people go for eibachs or cooksports.

Eibach do a set that only lower by 15mm that maybe worth a look if you can't get some secondhand springs.

If I could lose 89kg in a day that would be amazing. No air con, no ABS, less airbags, less soundproofing, poverty interior, no spare wheel. It's fairly even over the car but in the real world an extra 10bhp per ton doesn't suddenly make it a supercar. Just feel 10 years older in terms of comfort and a bit livelier.

I mean come on losing the engine cover gains at least 50bhp obviously!

Last edited:
I had brand new genuine 172 cup dampers and eibach proline springs on my first 172... Handling, ride, stance ect was spot on imo