ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steam from engine

172 Ph1
I got to work yesterday an noticed there was steam coming from under the bonnet. Had a look but could not see exactly where it was coming from, just around the radiator area. When i came back to the car a few hours later my coolant level had dropped.

Had a better look today but can't find any hoses that are leaking, but it is wet underneath the radiator. Thinking maybe my radiator has gone but noticed that my fan had not kicked in an the dial gauge for the temp was in the middle.

Is there a way of testing the fan? If the fan is gone would this cause the radiator to leak if the coolant was not being cooled? Where is the thermostat located on the phase 1 172? Which relays or fuses should i be checking?

Thanks for any help.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've never seen the fan come on my 182, even on a track day.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Leave the car running while it's sitting still and see if the fan kicks in when it gets hot. It might not be getting hot enough when the car is moving