ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steel Seal - Friend just said she wanted to try it

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Any idea on how good this is?
http://www.steelseal.co.uk/

Basically her head is away and i told her this and the garage confirmed it. She needs to drive the car a short distance and she said someone recommened this.

I for one would never use any additive like this and didnt when my head went.

Anyone used it and how good is it?

Oh her car is a Renault Scenic 1.8l.

Im thinking ill just replace the head and gasket for her but she wants to try this before i do it.

I dont think its a good idea but its her car. Anyone think the same as me?

A great deal of valuable time and money can be spent on engine repair because of a cracked head or blown head gasket. Before you invest all that time and money disassembling an engine to repair a cracked head or gasket, try Steel Seal™, a patented chemical formulation that provides you with a convenient and affordable alternative to costly engine repair.
Steel Seal™ creates a permanent seal that will withstand high temperatures and high pressure. The product can be used in both petrol and diesel engines both steel and aluminium.
With adherence to the manufacturer’s directions and proper diagnosis, as a garage you will enjoy virtually effortless engine repair that will free you up to maximize the profits in your garage. As a member of the general public you could save £000's with the average head gasket repair costing in excess of £500!
What is Steel Seal™ made of?

Steel Seal™ is made of several chemicals that, when combined under the right circumstances, creates a permanent seal as strong as steel.
How does Steel Seal™ work?
Steel Seal™ is added to an antifreeze/water mixture and poured into the radiator of a cold engine. Once the engine is started and reaches operating temperature, Steel Seal™ is distributed through the engine. The product is drawn into the damaged area and seals the crack with a thermo-chemical bonding action process. Which is similar to that of an epoxy resin just in liquid form!
Will Steel Seal™ clog the engine’s cooling system?
Steel Seal™ is a clear formula that contains no fibrous materials or particles that could clog engine coolant passages. You can see that for yourself just look through the bottle.
Will antifreeze compromise the seal?
No, in fact, Steel Seal™ MUST be used with antifreeze.
How long will the seal last?
With Steel Seal™ the seal is permanent under normal operating conditions, but there is always the possibility of another leak in another part of the engine.
What will Steel Seal™ not fix?
Steel Seal™ will not seal leaks in hoses, seals, water pumps, or extremely large cracks in the head or block resulting in the vehicle not starting. If it does not run Steel Seal can not work as it relies on temperature.
What do I do if I have used an inferior product making similar claims?
The cooling system must be flushed thoroughly with water, NOT a flushing agent.

LY 182
yep i've used similar stuff as temp fixes for customers...
funnily enough we had a k series (don't know if you know of them but they go through a head gasket every 40k on average) fella brought in oil in the water, missfiring, etc etc..
quite a bad case. needed to drive the car desperately the next day so we advised otherwise and still insisted on a temp fix..

poured a bottle of that in it and gave it an oil change just to get him by.
that was about 6 months ago and he's still driving it

ValverInBits
^^K series fail. They are so so so good as poping HGs

I wouldnt touch it tbh. Sounds like a recipe for coolant failure. Rad blockage, water pump gunging up. Don't like the sound of it.

About as effective as egg white probably.

LY 182
im a bit surprised that ones still rolling around tbh.

kind of shot myself in the foot though as i wanted it back for a head gasket the following week lol

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
if it blocks cracks and that sort of things I guess it also blocks coolant passages and bypass holes...

LY 182
if it blocks cracks and that sort of things I guess it also blocks coolant passages and bypass holes...
think it works on contact with air so wouldnt block passages
they say not to use it on k series due to the little ball valve in the inlet manifold

its weird stuff i was trying to figure how it works

if you leave it in a bottle with the lid off it stays liquid

if you pour it on a work surface and leave it it goes rock hard

its got copper flakes in it so i was more worried about what it does to seals

ValverInBits
It's the hot metal head that causes the solidification surely?
The head and block (at full engine temp) will be a little hotter than the coolant.

It's a bit of a stab in the dark as most engines reach different max operating temps......i'd of thought?

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
they say not to use it on k series due to the little ball valve in the inlet manifold

I see...

what is this ball valve you say? never heard of it....well...I'm quite new to the k series engine on the Clio, ask me anything on the J series :D

LY 182

I see...

what is this ball valve you say? never heard of it....well...I'm quite new to the k series engine on the Clio, ask me anything on the J series :D
im on about k series rovers mate