ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering angle sensor - calibration?

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Please help

I have done the, get the dot to colour change and rotation set.
Does there need to be a calibration?
When turning on the ignition the esp light goes off on dash (as normal)
I can then use the swith to deactivate as normal (light comes on). Then swith back on (light goes off).
All good.
Then I turn the steering wheel and esp light pops up!
Track car so can't get to a garage easily, just need to know if anybody has had a calibration on the unit or is this myth?

Cheers

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
If you have set it centrally it shouldn't need any further fiddling,
Is it a possibility it's buggered?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I thought mine was all aligned properly as you could see the correct colour.

You need to make sure the tabs are horizontal, then just take it for a drive.

If that doesn't work it's likely knackered.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
As above really, it probably isn't actually centralised. Even a small amount of it being off-centre will bring the light on. Or it could possibly be faulty, did you turn it much when aligning it the first time? Also check all the wiring is free going to the squib itself.

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Cheers
Not sure how robust they are but can't think that I knocked it about when removing steering wheel. Original wheel back on.
Just don't want to get the my first track day and esp kicking in when it shouldn't.
Would getting a few miles in calibrate it?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
As long as the steering wheel is on straight then it should reset itself quite quickly.

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Great feedback cheers.
Now this is no exact science and possibly my imagination but I have tried rotating 360 either way and setting. I'd does feel like when revving it cutts at low revs. In the correct position (I belive and have looked at the agreed way on the forum) it seems to rev freely.

Lol this could all be BS

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hi all... OK, so lets get in to this one:

The warning lights are functioning as expected when cycling the ignition and starting the car BUT as soon as the steering wheel position is altered, the little orange triangle with a car skidding light is the only one to illuminate? This is happening because of the following:
  • The ABS/ESP module is not receiving a steering angle signal but it knows the steering is being used as it can see a change in the hydraulic steering line pressure level. (Signal Incoherence)... unlikely in this case as the fault lights function correctly at startup.
  • Someone has tried to "Reset" the Steering Angle Sensor calibration with a hooky CLIP and has messed it up (Live data will show an steering angle value of 8134 degrees). Possible
  • The steering angle sensor itself is damaged, possibly by you forcing it to travel further than it's able and is now unable to report changes in steering wheel position. More likely
The first thing you really need is reliable data and that means speaking to someone with access to CLIP. Specifically, they need to look at the ABS computer to see what it is actually seeing to figure out which of the above is true. From there, fixing will be fairly straight forwards... Replace the SAS or simply reset the SAS's signal configuration.

Mick

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Thanks.
So options
Find a mobile auto electrician with clip? Recommendations for Derby area please.
Trailer it to a garage to be tested? Something you could test Mick?

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Ah one other thing. Airbag and service light on as not fitted bag back in yet.
Abs light cycles as normal and not illuminated.