ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering angle sensor error (ABS, ESP, Serv lights on) after fitting new s-column

A

ashy_gtt

Guys, I had the 182 into reno a few months back as the serv, abs and esp lights had all come on. Reno replace the stering angle sensor and all was good again. Anyway I've recently had to fit a new steering column and since putting it all back together the same lights are back on again. Now I'm thinking its a problem with the steering angle sensor again. I'm just wondering if after re-fitting the stalks you have to make sure that its re-fitted in a certain position? I'm wondering if ive re-fitted it 360 or 720 degrees out one way? Is that plausable?

Cheers Ashy

Megane dci 130
I think the steering angle sensor has to be configured on clip when doind any work on the steering system. Best go down to renault and ask.

A

ashy_gtt

Right, Just incase anyones ever reading through this in the future this may help.

When re-fitting the steering angle sensor make sure the wheels are straight and re-fit the sensor so that the little round viewing window is white.

If you rotate the centre part of the sensore 360 degrees Right or left you can see it changes colour. The more you roate it the darker it gets. Mine was set 360 degrees out.

Just need to get the lights on the dash re-set now! Any ideas how to do it or is it a garage job? was thinking if I left the bat disconnected for a few hours it might clear the fault?

Recaro'd 182
the wheel can only go on at one position. so when you take the steerign wheel off just make sure you dont rotate the wheel sensor. Then it will go back on ok in the correct position.
dunno if a rstuner reset will clear it?

A

ashy_gtt

ih mate, yeah I changed the full column tho and didn't realise that at the time :(

Whats an RS tuner re-set?

A

ashy_gtt

just noticed! you say you disconnected your battery but in your pics all ya dash lights are on!:dapprove:

Good point, I'd disconnected it so I didn't get hit by the air bag but once in bits I fired it back up hoping the lights would go out once it was all aligned properly... Sadly not :(

You can get the generic fault code readers off ebay for 30 odd quid. But you may need the Renault one for such a specific fault. Mine had similar problems before I bought it and the guy said it showed no faults with standard fault readers and he had to take it to the stealers in the end - but it did actually need a new position sensor.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I have a one of those little machines you buy off ktec if you want to use it, not sure if it'll work but I've turned faults off on mine before, not this one though

mutiple
does it need to be coded in anyway or could i get one from a scrappy and swap over. i have a fault reader so resetting is not a problem

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
as much as i hate draggin posts up...... dont seem to get a white bit. just a few different markings and a yellow and a blue dot in the viewing window???? halp plz

Clio 182
Not sure if Ashy you got a code reader the AD-200 clears the fault in question.

I have found myself in the same position as you had that I have a steering wheel angle sensor problem. Did you resolve your problem yourself or did you need renault to do it?

I have read another thread about this and it said if a new steering wheel angle sensor is put on it needs "programming by renault" (I hate the term programming). Does that mean the process you gave in your thread with turning the centre of the sensor around until you see a white light then pushing it onto the steering column and putting it all back together?

Or does it mean somehow connecting that sensor to a computer with a special renault program to set it up? Cheers. Pete

106 GTI
Not sure if Ashy you got a code reader the AD-200 clears the fault in question.

I have found myself in the same position as you had that I have a steering wheel angle sensor problem. Did you resolve your problem yourself or did you need renault to do it?

I have read another thread about this and it said if a new steering wheel angle sensor is put on it needs "programming by renault" (I hate the term programming). Does that mean the process you gave in your thread with turning the centre of the sensor around until you see a white light then pushing it onto the steering column and putting it all back together?

Or does it mean somehow connecting that sensor to a computer with a special renault program to set it up? Cheers. Pete

It needs plugging into Clip, had mine reset at rentech although I imagine a main dealer would absolutely sting you on it.

Just put it in the middle, it should be about 2 and a 1/2 turns from middle to left or right, then get it calibrated

Clio 182
Just put it in the middle, it should be about 2 and a 1/2 turns from middle to left or right, then get it calibrated

Cheers for the reply Powey, what do you mean by get it calibrated? (unfortunately i think you mean the VP003 command (I found this from reading the document given below) which i suspect i need a CLIP tool for and so cant fix this problem with any tools I have)

The ESP and SERV light has been on since i changed the gearbox.

Got this AD200 code reader and reset tool and it proudly tells me i have fault code DF074 and sometimes instead says DF076... which the following guide:
http://www.renault25.cz/graphics/manuals/91/MR352AVANTIME3.PDF

covers on p37 and p40 all it seems to be saying is check connections between the steering wheel angle sensor and the ECU which it connects to.

But I dont see why me changing the gearbox would have meant messing up anything on the steering column. Anyone got any ideas before I strip out down the steering column and check these connections? Pete

Clio 182
often caused by disturbing the slip ring.

Is the slip ring the same thing as a "squib" and the same as the "steering wheel angle sensor"?

Is it either of these? (thanks to ashy and josh for the pics)

071.gif

Cheers, Pete