ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering problem

Megane 265 Cup
Ok this is starting to irritate me :(

Hit black ice turning into my street a month or so back and hit the kerb. Steering was well off and I thought I probably bent something, was doing about 15mph I would say....so turns out after getting alignment done it was still off.

So wishbone with ball joint was changed and was visibly twisted when it came off the car, back to have the alignment done again and FFS it is still not centred.

The car holds a straight line of the road without holding the wheel but the steering wheel itself is sitting left hand down.

Any ideas what my next choice is? What is most likely to be bent now keeping it mind it holds a straight line but its just the steering wheel thats sitting off?

:( so irritating.

Megane 265 Cup
Oh and the wheel isn't buckled or anything either as I had all that checked...I know it is gonna be trial and error with parts probably, so does anyone know what I should try next?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just sounds like they never centred the wheel when doing the alignment.

Not a 320d
Id say your tacking is fine, youll have go to get it done again but this time make sure your steering wheel is where you want it while its been done. Ive got the same problem. Steering was out to the right, went to get tracking done and the steering was still out but this time to the left slightly, i find it incredibly irritating but im waiting to have a camber setup done. Ill be taking mine back to the garage and asking for it to be done again if its not straight this time round. Once the track rod end is loose then make sure the steering wheel is where you want it.

Megane 265 Cup
You think? Hmmm, now that would piss me off! Argh, don't exactly wanna be paying to get it done again to get the same outcome, so from what I described you don't think something else might be bent?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Demon tweeks did this to mine pissed me off, set the steering up, car drove fine but the wheel was probably about 30 degrees off centre when driving in a straight line.

Not a 320d
Doubt it, allignment gets knocked out pure and simple, just needs to be re alligned and while its been done you need to repeatedly ask them to centre your steering wheel and make sure they understand that if it isnt straight youll be back immediately they MIGHT get it right first time. Like I said Im in the same position.

Megane 265 Cup
Thanks guys, I went and got it done again and asked them to clamp the steering wheel etc and it has come out bang on centre so I am well relieved and it feels just lovely to drive again :)

Some fuckin muppet obviously did it this morning and made a right mess of it, it actually came out worse than when it went in this morning ffs!

Not a 320d
I know the feeling. I had my toe sorted out and left the camber while I ordered some bolts. Pisses me right off when I either drive in a straight line or take a corner, its just not right and its a constant irritation. HOPEFULLY getting new camber bolts next week, so ill have a setup done shortly after and ill be making sure the steering wheel is spot on.

How did they clamp it then? And did they charge you? Didnt realise it was only today they did it, id of asked for it to be done again.

Megane 265 Cup
Bit of a story to it so here goes, I called in at my uncles place, he manages an autostore parts etc...asked him did he know anywhere decent to get my wheel alignment checked/fixed. He said yeah told me to go to charles hurst tyres and ask for a friend of his Roy. So off I went this morning went down and asked for Roy, he seemed to be the manager of the place and in fairness to him had me bumped up the queue and straight in for it to be done, happy days I thought. So about 20 minutes or so later it comes out and Roy says there you go mate and said no charge, even better I thought that was incredibly nice of him.

About 30 seconds after pulling away I just knew it was totally fucked up and worse than before....given that I had hit a kerb and bent the wishbone etc I didn't think I was in much of a position to argue he had done it wrong even though those bits had been replaced with new parts, also given the fact the guy did it for free I didn't really wanna go back and whine....maybe thats just me.

So I just went to down to...ATS...yes I know muppets lol, but the fella in there seemed to know what he was at for a change and I asked him if he clamped the steering wheel etc when doing the alignment and he said oh yes definately, brilliant I thought someone that actually seems to know what they're at...watched him just incase and yep he clamped the wheel and took his time over the job.

As soon as I got in the car I could tell it was right, the wheel felt "normal" and they way it used to again. Got out onto a nice bit of straight flat road and YESS :D centred perfectly! Well done ATS man! lol

Charles Hursts - Muppets!!

Megane 265 Cup
I hope you do too fella, it just pisses me off so much! And for some reason it seems to be quite hard to find someone that can actually do it right! Good luck!