ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering rack 182 & 182FF difference?

182 FF
Is there a difference in the racks?

the reason being i have just changed mine with one out of a 182, and i've had to wind the track rod ends out a fair old bit

please tell me this is not so, and that all 172 - 182ff racks are the same:dead:

i ain't goin through te pain of lyin on my back on a cold concrete garage floor t do it again.

its tracked up some where near righ, gunna take it to ATS bu i'm sure i have wound the rod ends nearly as far as they ought to go.

need some deffo answers asap

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm pretty sure the cups have shorter steering ratios, don't know about the cup packed though.

may be wrong but i thought they were all the same lock-to-lock (is it 2.7 turns?), but that there are four different manufacturers (TRW, SMI, can't remember others - Fred posted a list of the part numbers a while ago)

i don't know how those four racks differ

feel your pain if it's got to come off again - worst of the small number of jobs i've had to do to mine

182 FF
i know its deffo a 182 rack, but if this is so then i shouldn't have needed to wind the track rod ends out as much as i have, in theory it should have been perfect, had to wind each end out over half an inch

surely this ain't right.

I might just be being paronoid, i put one in a meriva a while back and some fekka sold me a corsa sterring rack, looked exactly the same and fit perfectly but the rods where just a little longer:dead:, nightmare job

It's A Reno
Considering how much car companies love generic parts, I would expect all MK2 racks to be the same.

182 FF
Last edited:
are the hubs further out on some?
could be why there appear to be different length track rods
ed. timing error. not sure how you'd go about attacking a stubborn track rod

Last edited:
  Rsport182Cup'd
the cup also has different mout holes for the hubs, easy to spot a cup to a standard when you look at the holes. 172 and non cup have 54mm centres on the suspension legs. the cup and cup pack & trophy have 60mm centres.