ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack gone?

2004 Clio 182
Ever since buying my 172 cup, the steering has had an odd fault. I'd drive along and the steering wheel would sit straight, turn a bend and straighten the car up and the steering wheel would not need to go back all the way to straight. Normally around 30 degrees or so out. It's correct if turned the opposite direction.

I've had the tracking all done and it keeps the wheels straight and true but it's just the steering wheel inside the car. Had it up on a ramp and nothing is lose anywhere or has too much play. I have a steering rack in the garage and wonder if the old steering rack could cause the issue? Can anyone help suggest where the issue could lie?

Thanks in advance

There should be a screw that tightens the steering rack - too lose and you will have play, too tight and you will cause excess friction in the rack, results in steering that doesn't center itself correctly. You might want to check that out before changing the rack.