ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Vibration above 70mph

PH1 172 Sport
I've got a very slight steering wobble above 70 which increase with speed. TBH unless I'm thinking about it I don't notice it, so its not that bad. At 100 its more noticeable.

I've had new track rods and track rod ends and the tracking done so I'm pretty sure none of that is the cause. I now have several theories and any further suggestions would be good.

1) I only noticed it when I moved the rear tyres to the front and had some new ones put on the back. The tyres on the front are pretty worn and are probably only 1mm off the legal limit. Maybe these wore funny on the back and are now unsettling the front.
2) A warped disk
3) My front ARB bushes are knackered and need replacing can they cause steering wheel feedback if badly worn?

There my main options at the moment followed by drive-shafts, buckled alloys etc. Any advice would be great!

Lotus Exige, 182
Vibration or wobble? if its a vibration and you've swapped your wheels over, I'd put money on one, or both, of the ones which are now on the front not being balanced. Go to a tyre shop in the morning and they'll sort the problem - and it won't cost much more than a tenner!

Crappy work hire car
Yeah, its wheel balancing. Had this on my Pug 307 and it needed track rod ends and the wheels balanced - since you've had the ends done you just need your wheels balanced.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've got this its either wheel bearings (advisory on MOT) or tracking/balancing

PH1 172 Sport
Mine was either the fact that I needed new front tyres and hadn't realised. Or the fact that when I changed my track rods and ends the other weekend the garage I took it to do the tracking set the toe to +2.4mm LH and +5.1mm RH!!

Either way the tracking is back where it should be and was done by a hunter system so should be reasonably accurate and I've got new tyres on the front.

Vibration seems to have gone though I will confirm once i've been on the M-Way

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's the balancing, you don't notice out of balance wheels on the rear.