ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel pulling both ways and off centre

Clio Sport 182
Hi guys,

Got a slight problem with my steering wheel.

1st thing is it doesn't sit straight anymore. I replaced my offside tyres as thread was poor and decided to have 2 of the same tyre put onto the rears instead of back on the offside, so that meant swapping the offside front and the onside rear around. All of a sudden my steering wheel no longer sits aligned centre, is there a simple solution for this or is it a bit more complicated?

The 2nd problem is, driving on a straight road, 30mph, i hold the wheel loosely and it will pull either side as if it is tramlining. However, the road is in pretty good condition and wouldn't say it was uneven or has any potholes to assume that it is tramlining. Took it to my local garage and asked for tracking doing, they suggested not doing it because my front tyres have different thread patterns on them and it may not track that brilliantly. I can see their point but have no idea if it is correct, will different types of thread have any affect on the way the wheels want to stick to the road? are they fighting against each other and thats why i'm having a pull to the left and right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

It's pretty much how you answered your own question really - yes the different tyre will have different traits. It is definately a good idea to have the same tyre side-side on each axle. A miss-match can cause exactly what you are describing and that's why its not advised. And that's probably what your garage was trying to say by the sound of it - it wouldn't be a problem for them to track it accurately, but might not solve the issue.

Are your front tyres in good condition, tread evenly worn etc? You could try swapping both the rears to the front, so you have a matching pair up front and see if its any better. But bear inmind that's not going to be totally right either, as if there is an issue with either of those worn tyres it will affect the handling at the rear still (which could be worse, and probably why you put the fresh tyres on the rear in the first place!!!)

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Hundred percent have good matching tyres front and back mate. I had my tracking done and it wasn't hundred percent. Decent matching tyres all round and it's spot on.

Clio Sport 182
cheaz fellas, i'll be keeping a close eye on the threads so i can get them changed as soon as, annoying as hell driving at the minute with it like this, i think i'll swap the rears to fronts as they are the same tyre and see if it solves the issue first however