ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering wheel 'restoration' - word of warning!

i guess a few people might be considering this, given that KTEC's grips are becoming available now - just thought i'd share an experience, to save others the bother of my schoolboy error

some may already be aware of what's affecting the leather on the rim of the wheel (?)

i thought i'd whip the wheel off and clean up the leather in prep for new grips; was rather hoping that the muck on the wheel was just finger cheese, and that it'd 'wash' off. i've been using the Autoglym interior shampoo stuff and it's washed the muck off alright, but has exposed untreated leather underneath - the 'cleaned' areas are like suede now.

i guess that's what's affecting the leather on these wheels - they're losing the hard protective outer layer that you'd associate with treated leather and are returning to a suede-like state; grease from hands clogs that up, and you're left with a messy steering wheel.

anyway, if you can live with its current state (as i could have done - balls:rolleyes:) don't bother trying to clean it up, as it'll make an even bigger mess. considering looking into a prof. retrim now

ta

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i always thought they were pleather tbh... mine melted like no tomorrow. never mind nice REAL leather one now.

i could attempt pics, but not sure my mickey-mouse camera would produce much

so, are they not even leather? whatever outer coating they have is silly-thin anyway - you can just rub it off with a wet rag!

hey-ho

i've had a go at taking pictures now that i've finished playing, but the contrast is very harsh, due to camera flash

swheel.jpg

swheel2.jpg

the grips are matt black and don't look that bold against the wheel in natural light; rest of the wheel also needs cleaning (airbag grubby by the looks of it)

having had a look/think, not sure it is leather on the rim - it's just so thin. there appears to be a protective top layer, which is matt (still present on the underside of the spokes), but it has worn away where the wheel is held - maybe it's moved about by oily hands and you end up with the ribbing effect that so many of them seem to suffer with. if you clean it up with any vigour, you remove the gloss 'leather' surface from underneath it as well, ending up with the suedey-type surface, which must be the base material.

it's not easy to see from the pictures; just posting out of interest, as i think that's what people can expect if they try to clean it off properly

I like the way you have a sticker pointing to the ignition.

any further plans with the wheel, or you leaving it like that?

the grips are KTEC's GRP ones - they were about £40. they're a new product and there's a thread with a waiting list somewhere

fubar - think i'm going to leave the wheel as is for the time being. can't really justify the expense of a retrim. the ign sticker's a requirement for some of these motorsport events i can't afford to get back into right now either!