ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel shakes like crazy....

Cliosport 182
Hey everyone..

I recently hit a put hole really hard with my clio 182.. and then joined the motorway taking the car up to 60mph.. at which point the wheel started shaking like crazy...

so ii took it in for a full service at HiQ - and they checked everything over and all joints bushes, tracking balancing everything was fine.

then they took it for a road test and they couldnt go over 30mph due to the steering while shaking really bad. but it went away when they let go off the accelerator... and returned when accelerator was applied.

I along with the mechanics at HiQ are baffled to why this is happening...

has/had or have any issues similar to mine? responses would be much appreciated.

geordie

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I once had a Megane that had a gear box fault causing similar vibrations took me days to fix
hopfuly it's somthing simple for u bud

I have a similar problem with my Astra. Turns out all 4 of my wheels are buckled so I can't even swap them about.

This was after having tracking/wheel alignment, track rod ends, track rods, cv joints etc replaced.

Cup In bits
Sounds like wheel balance.I bet they didn't balance your wheels by actually taking them off the car and re-weighting them. I'm guessing the shaking your getting is happening at certain speed/s and not at others? Generally I wouldn't trust a HIQ/Kwik fit mechy to fit a bike wheel, never mind diagnose a driveline problem.

I would have put money on you having buckled the wheel that hit the pothole, however the HiQ guy would surely have checked for that, especially as you say he checked the balancing to be OK - quite strange.

If you were accellerating or braking hard at the exact moment you hit the pothole you could have damaged the drive shaft. That would also account for the shaking, especially considering you say it is only when on the power and fine when off it... In any case, a second opinion is needed.