ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Wheel STFU!

Fiesta ST-2
Right I've asked before and not had any replies so guessing it not a common fault. But I'm now on my knees... The steering wheel squeaks its fine in normal weather no noticeable noise however, when the suns out and its hot its squeaks so bloody loud! Kinda like a door creaking/a donkey/a sheep in distress. I've taken the cover of WD40'd it but there's not much to get at and it's made no difference. Any ideas?

Titanium 182
Above your pedals where the steering collum goes down, have a look at that whilst someone turns the wheel and try grease the bits that move in contact with other bits. Might help.

Fiesta ST-2
Above your pedals where the steering collum goes down, have a look at that whilst someone turns the wheel and try grease the bits that move in contact with other bits. Might help.

Dunno if its that far down mate its seems to take the wheel longer to return to the central position when I let go on a hot day. Gotta be some expanding plastic or something causing friction? I'll have a look though thanks.

172 Cup
have you checked the level in your power steering fluid resevoir?

gotta be worth a shot, my st24 loved psf.

Fiesta ST-2
have you checked the level in your power steering fluid resevoir?

gotta be worth a shot, my st24 loved psf.

Levels are fine mate, think its a friction thing. I did notice quite abit of dust and bits inside though I even attempted hoovering it - FAIL

It's A Reno
Mine occasionally did this when I first got the car, but it wasn't very loud.
It eventually went away, but that was probably because I was always spraying AG vinyl and rubber care everywhere.

clio mk2
if its worse in warmer weather then it must be a material inside expanding or warping in the heat. sounds a bit far fetched, but buying a replacement from salvage and selling your current one might cure if youve no idea whats causing it?

Black Gold Trophy
had the same problem with mine, I ended up replacing the electrical unit that goes behind the steering wheel, about £100 from renault. It's the part that allows the wires for the airbag etc to turn with the wheel, I think the indicator/wiper stalks are also secured to it.

Fiesta ST-2
had the same problem with mine, I ended up replacing the electrical unit that goes behind the steering wheel, about £100 from renault. It's the part that allows the wires for the airbag etc to turn with the wheel, I think the indicator/wiper stalks are also secured to it.

Meh.. dont fancy that loud music ftw!