ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steerring rack advice pls

Think my steering rack may be on the way out.

Noticed it has a lot of play either side of centre. You can turn it approx 3-4 inches in either direction before any response from the front wheels. Not a major problem but it will be if it gets any worse. Just a little diconcerting if Im not expecting the lack of immediate turn in when travelling quickly into a corner!

Is this serious? could it just be bushes or something? expensive?

I have this and think it is the steering column as they are known to go (take it you have a valver/willy?). Id check all the easier stuff first tho just in case - ie trackrods etc...

...you dont want to be replacing everything like me....:oops:

Cheers dude.

Yep tis a willy. Ill have a peek. I take it if its the column the whole thing will need replacing? I imagine that wouldnt be cheap as just about any work requires the engine to be out.

Oh well, think the engine mounts are on their way out too, so have them done at same time. Could do without the cost on a motor I dont want to keep for too much longer.

Anyone know if this problem will get any worse? Whole car could do with replacing but if it will just hold together for another 6-8 months / 10K Ill be laughing.

Yep, if its the column, the whole thing needs replaced. If you lift up the rubber gaitor behind the pedals youll a joint and itll prob have excess play if you wiggle the steeering wheel. You shouldnt need the engine out as i think its just about an hour or so to change the column itself.

Good luck matey!