ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticky handbrake?

Abarth 595
So here we go...the last time I posted in here it ended badly 🤦‍♂️

After a resonable drive, my offside rear wheel has a bit of a burning smell, as if the brake pads have been used a lot. Could this be a failure in the handbrake cable perhaps? The handbrake works fine but im guessing maybe its not releasing completely? Any simple fix to this I could try?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Probably more like sticking caliper than the actual cable.

You should be able to check to see if the arm of the handbrake behind the caliper is fully releasing.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jack the back end up with the handbrake off . If you can't spin any of the back wheels freely you have a sticking caliper.
Also, if one of the wheels is hot after a good drive that's a good indication you have a sticking caliper.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it’s got that hot it’s probably cooked the wheel bearing as well.
as said, sticky caliper.

Abarth 595
So, I had a mechanic come and have a look today. He told me he gave it a good clean and changed the pads and he could tell it was sticking, but now claims to have fixed it. I questioned the bearing as per @Daniel comment and he said its fine - not sure if I believe him on this as there is a definite sound coming from the wheel still. What else would be a sign that the bearing is fucked?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Jack the rear end up and spin the wheel up. If it’s still sticking he hasn’t fixed it. If it’s grumbling the bearing is shagged.
also, hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o clock. Rock the wheel. Then do the same at 12 and 6 o clock.
if you’ve got any movement the bearing is buggered.

Abarth 595
Jack the rear end up and spin the wheel up. If it’s still sticking he hasn’t fixed it. If it’s grumbling the bearing is shagged.
also, hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o clock. Rock the wheel. Then do the same at 12 and 6 o clock.
if you’ve got any movement the bearing is buggered.

Nice one will give that a go now. He did tell me it was spinning freely and there was no movement, but i was in the office and cant see him from where i was so was just taking his word for it tbh.

Abarth 595
Okay, I’ve just jacked up both back wheels and they both spin freely and there is no wobble. (It didn’t take me 3 days to do this - had to go buy a Jack). Anything else worth me checking before taking it back to a garage? Could it be the tyres making noise? It starts from about 40mph onwards. They looked fine but I guess it could be hard to tell.