ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticky tappet maybe

Ive noticed since having my 2.0ltr conversion that the engine on idle seems to rattle quite a bit :( my other 16v lump was silent! Which i think in someways reflects the condition of the engine (i always changed my filter after 6k ect). I know the noise is produced by a sticky tappet(s) - dirt and grit caught in them..

however does anyone know if i can re-condition them? in my mk4scort ;) i could take out the tappets just be removing the rocker cover and a few nuts. I dont have my haynes here at work - do any of you know how?

im really hoping it is my tappets - becuase when at idle it really makes a loud ticking noise... then it goes away for a breif second or 2 then comes back. :(

What do you think?

u can recon them, but to get to them, uv gota remove the cams, which means removing the cambelt, etc. not a big job for the mehcanically minded, but fiddly.

jimbo

eh?

The tappet surface can be cleaned up so long as you keep it perfectly level.

The hydraulic system can be cleaned by removing the tappet inners and using thinners etc etc.

But have a look around at mounts, nuts/heat shields as they can make noises similar to that and are far easier to fix.

Thanks Ben & everyone else who replied. Ill have to wait until i get a day off work to take a look as it gets dark to quickly now. Ill also have a compression test at my next service.

Hope its nothing serious... there was a "how to" not long ago showing you how to clean your own tappets. I just hope its something i can do myself.

Is it a mission to get the tappets out? (ie cam out job) ill check my haynes later.

To get the tappets out, youll have to loosen the tensioner and do the same procedure to replace a cam belt as it will need to come off to take the cams out without flinging the ends up as you loosen the bearing caps.

With the belt off, take the valve cover off. Loosen in sequnce the cam carrier and lift them off. lift out the cams and the tappets are i their bores. careful when lifting them out as not to damage them or scorre them. I use a valve lapping stick to pull them out, or any other suction cup will work.

Then just clean them up, remembering where each one goes, you wont need to clean the surface of them as they dont wear too bad unless the cam is damged.

A compressor test wont tell you if your tappets are damaged. If they stick the valves will still seal as normal.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a tappet should be able to hold its oil for quite a while after it was last used.run it and then strip it the next day.when you get the tappets out try squeezing them.the good tappets wont squeeze together because they still contain oil.any tappet that is easily squeezed together has leaked its oil and they are the problem tappets.do what benr says and clean them out(most leaks are caused by a build up of dirt inside the tappet causing the ball valve inside not to seat properley).then leave them to soak in some clean engine oil for a while(this will help to reduce the amount of rattle when you rebuild the engine and start it for the first time)