ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Still got a knocking noise..

Clio 172 Cup
Got an issue with going down dips over bumps, i get a clunk noise on the LHS. And also using the biting point on a hill for instance i get creaky noise. Now i've replaced top mounts, and just replaced arb bushes and the dogbone bushes.

There's no play in the ball joints they seem fine, what else could it be? Am i thinking upper gearbox and engine mount?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It could be that the wrong size balljoints have been used.

Motor factors sell 10mm and 12mm versions for the 172.

The 10mm is too small and will move about under a lot of force.

You can check this by taking the wheel off and checking the size of the thread on the bottom balljoint screws.

(this was just my problem and may be of no help, but it's something for you to check)

Clio 172 Cup
Wohooo finally found out what the problem was!! Thought i'd have a look at the upper gearbox mount under the battery, the nuts that hold the mount down were loose!! I was shocked my gearbox hadn't dropped on the floor! Almost finger tight!! Took it for a drive and miles better! No knocking noise anymore :)

Clio 172 Cup
It's worth a look at for sure! Not saying that will be the result for you but has certainly sorted my knocking out.

Well when you get a loud thud after braking sharply (as though something had jolted towards the frame) Im not going to rule anything out. :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Pedro, that sounds similar to my issue. (which turned out to be balloint)

I have a FULL list of possible causes if you want to check a hella lot of things...

Pedro, that sounds similar to my issue. (which turned out to be balloint)

I have a FULL list of possible causes if you want to check a hella lot of things...

Yes please buddy. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok then:

Top mounts
- Check everything is tight and not worn

Balljoints - Jack up car, hold wheel at "quarter to three" and wobble. If there is play, it could do with changing, also take the wheel off and check the bolts that connect it to the arm are tight and the correct size (the bigger 12mm bolts)

Engine mounts - check all three, but it's most likely to be the dogbone mount, engine mounts are: Top left engine mount, top gearbox mount (under battery) and Dogbone mount

Steering rack bushes
- Check for play in the steering wheel and just get under the car and check the general condition of these.

Suspension strut itself - Check for leaks, loss of "stiffness", your shock could be shot and need replacing

Spring - Is the spring seated properly, is it snapped/broken in any way? Sometimes you snap the end of a spring and this causes it to be able to move around

Not sure if I've missed anything. Apologies if I have.

Ah, i forgot to check this.

Thanks very much for the write up! I will go inspecting once the rain clears.