ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Still not sure?

A SHED!
Shortly ill have about 7k to spend on a new car...do.i A:get a 172 mk1 and have some cash left over....b:get a full fat mk2 172 or c:buy a integra type r which would be older, but quicker. Suggestions? cheers.

A SHED!
C?, yeah i just thought a+b would be easier to buy etc, i really want a black type r, but the nearest one is 218miles away.....Well hard to find?

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
Option C sounds good. I had a look at a few before buying my last car, but found it hard to find a one in good condtion and at a fair price. Also be warned that parts cost a bomb!! Had a civic and could not believe the prices they were charging!!

I owned an itr for a year and liked it....but like my 182 far more!! Do you want all the reasons?

IMO id go with the mk1 172!

PS I dont believe that an itr is any faster

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
smiles said:
I owned an itr for a year and liked it....but like my 182 far more!! Do you want all the reasons?

IMO id go with the mk1 172!

PS I dont believe that an itr is any faster

Please list mate!

Some people seem to think ITRs are really something special. Sure they handle great but in a straight line theyre no more than a CTR really..

It was something special and makes you feel special!

ITR for's

Awesome handling with progressive lift-off oversteer
Awesome sounding at 8600rpm
Good looking
Good seats
'Old school' Honda build quality i.e very good!
Great gearchange and clutch action
34 mpg (same as clio)
Huge boot

Against's

No power under 6000 rpm (i mean you'd have trouble keeping up with a 1.2 corsa-no kidding)
Very hard work keeping it over 6000rpms on the road unless you know the road(great on track tho!)
V.noisy on motorway (4600rpm at 80) and less soundproofing
LSD spoils steering feel sometimes
Expensive parts (not a big deal cos they dont really break)
Group 18 insurance
Attracts the wrong kind of attention sometimes

Hope this helps tom!

A SHED!
Cheers tom,got quotes off insurers around about £1000 fully comp. Im 23, got 6years no claims.The clio is cheaper on insurance. The mk2 cup........does it come with leather? ive looked at couple and the seats have been cloth?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The cups have cloth interior, do a search and I'm sure that you'll get the specs...but main ones are 89Kgs lighter than 172, no alcantara, no xenons, no ABS, no traction control, no spare wheel, no climate control, no cruise control, thinner glass...

I'd get a cup, but I'm biased ;)

megane coupe F7R
WSMT-Box-Letter-C.gif

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i would go for the mark 1 172...stunning looking car......

read the reasons above for the integra, sounds like unless you do many track days its pointless

A SHED!
I dunno what to do, i suppose i could wait till next year when prices go down further. So the integra has sh*t pickup at low revs?

Renault Clio 1.8 16v mk1
Go get the ITR. I own ITR and clio 1 16v and down low ITR eats clio alive (thats where VTEC comes handy).

Go drive one and you will see. Its a very nice car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
so glad this thread came up! was thinking about changing my 172 for a itr. (after a recent track day saw me getting smoked by two bastids in ITR's) but after reading the stories, i don't think i'll bother. whats the point in driving everywhere with at 6000 rpm just to keep up with traffic?!