ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Still seems to wander about! WHY???

GSXR + KDX220
Basically a month or so ago, I replaced my track rods, track rod ends, both bottom ball joints and had the tracking set up to parallel toe, and 1.5 degs negative camber, by a local pretty renowned company ;)

Upon leaving the place (no it wasnt a kwik fit etc) I noticed at motorway speeds it was pulling left a little :dapprove:

Ok, phoned them up and said can they re-adjust it, no problem but they were booked up for a few days but booked me in for friday. Only thing is I had a track day on Tuesday but went anyway as it wasnt too bad.

Friday came, I went down, they checked the alignment first and I was told and showed on the printout that my camber had gone from a pretty even -1.5deg both sides, to -2.2 on the left and -0.4 on the right :S also the toe had moved a bit. (Is this just "fiddling" the results, I imagine it wouldnt be too hard?)

They re-adjusted it to what I wanted and off I went, and the car felt better and drove straight.

But since then it just doesnt feel "right", I dont have the confidence in it on the road, that I used to and it feels a bit sloppy and it pulls around alot when on the throttle, way more than it used to!!

Ive noticed when I reverse from having full lock left, it feels and sounds like something is moving, on the left I THINK. Not a huge clonk just some movement.

Could this be the top mount(s)? The wishbones generally felt ok when I changed the other bits and didnt move about. Also when changing the track rods, there was NO play in the rack when pushing and pulling ;)

GSXR + KDX220
Nooooo, STR in Norwich (Shawn Taylor Racing) They're in the whole serious racing thing, so know what they're doing. Hopefully....

182cup & 172 racecar
How is your camber adjusted, is it with bolts or on the struts or top mounts, or do we have to guess??

GSXR + KDX220
Sorry forgot to mention, its on camber bolts, with stock struts and eibach sportlines ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As the total camber hadnt really changed (3.0 before, 2.6 after) it just sounds like your car wasnt set level for some reason either when it was set initially or when it was retested, one tyre down on pressure perhaps? Something heavy in your boot?

182cup & 172 racecar
I am guessing, that the side with less camber is the N/S and the one with more is the O/S??

I would get them to set it all up again. Do they set it up with wheels on the ground (ramp) or up in the air with wheels off the ground.??

GSXR + KDX220
No its the opposite, the n/s had the high number. What made you suggest it was the other way?

Im not sure what keeps making it go out, whether its something moving or what?
It never felt "right" before, I took it, after I took and still doesnt now. It pulls around way too much on the road, its pretty "nervous".

Tbh it felt better when I did it myself last year with string, stands and a vernier lol

182cup & 172 racecar
Sorry, I thought it had happened after a track day (right hand corners)

Never leave anybody to check your car without being there. If they won't let you stay and watch, take it elsewhere.

GSXR + KDX220
Oh and they did check and adjust it with the wheels on the ground as he wanted me to hold steering wheel straight to avoid me saying it wasn't later on.

Sorry yes it did move after the track day, I worded it wrong. But still it shouldn't throw it out that much. The last time I did it it went all over Germany,and a couple of track days after.

I can't figure out what seems to be moving when I reverse as I mentioned before. Top mounts and wishbones is all that is left really.

GSXR + KDX220
I'll have to look into it. It must me related to that clicky noise when steering lock to lock when hardly moving, plus it only happens when the car is fully on the wheels. If I jack it even a little bit, it doesn't make the noise. Hmmm solid mounts are the same price ish as standard...

I'm sure someone will have a set of standard ones knocking about cheap if it is them,

The noise, is it like a click from the spring? As that's what mine did as the bearings had been completely destroyed.

GSXR + KDX220
It's hard to describe without hearing it, but it only ever does it when moving very slow or at standstill. Plus the moviwhen at full lock and reversing a bit quickly.

When they put all those parts on did they take it for a drive to settle the suspension? Sounds like they have just taken it off one ramp after they fitted the parts and then put it onto another one to do the alignment.

When I do tracking it takes about 3 or 4 attempts of setting it and road testing it to get it bang on.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ignoring the camber, the clonk sounds like it might be rack bushes.

would explain the vagueness and difficulty setting tracking too

GSXR + KDX220
Marco, I fitted the parts myself so I know they're on correctly and then took it for tracking a few days later. Then back again after the track day had been and gone

I did wonder about the rack bushes too, but its hard to see them with the car fully on the ground and I don't have access to a ramp or pit. I may just try and change them anyway, fun fun :(

GSXR + KDX220
Little update:
It seems to pull to the right when on throttle whether its 30mph or 70mph and lifting off, brings it back straight again. Also when braking hard it tends to want to go left sooooo?

It doesnt feel like play in the steering (rack, rods and ends) as if you wiggle the wheel it responds instantly and as I said the rods are new and NO play when pushed and pulled.

Need to try and have a look this weekend

GSXR + KDX220
They've both been done very recently, but it felt similar before them being done anyway, so I've kind of ruled it out for now. Doesnt seem to be getting any better though!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Steering rack bushes get overlooked a lot.

Check chips thread, his turbo was all over the shop until he changed them!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As Daniel says, check your rack bushes, mine was positively dangerous till I changed them, its something relatively unique to clios as most manufacturers actually thing its a good idea to secure the steering rack to the car properly.

Mine despite being really shot still held the rack well enough that when you rocked the wheel it seamed to turn the wheels straight away when parked up, but it was moving about when under load.

If you look in my phase 1 turbo thread, you will find a video showing how bad the play was when we got it up on Danpl6's ramp.

GSXR + KDX220
Cheers guys, I'll definitely check them out. Which was is easiest to see the movement? Underneath I'd guess at?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Jack the car up (ramp is better but obviously most of us dont have those), put the steering lock ON, then get someone to turn the road wheel left and right so that it attempts to move the rack.

GSXR + KDX220
Jack the car up (ramp is better but obviously most of us dont have those), put the steering lock ON, then get someone to turn the road wheel left and right so that it attempts to move the rack.
Thats a good idea actually, when I get a chance and its dry(er) I'll have a look.

As above, where can I get them as internet searches dont come up with much

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From renault, 50 quid a pair, and they are the rubb rack mounts, not the internal bushes which are part of the rack.

I changed mine on the driveway, in about half an hour, its not a bad job really, just a couple of the bolts are a mild pain to get at.

Loosen one end, then undo the other end totally, replace the end undone, dont tighten it yet, then undo the end you loosened, replace those, then tighten them both up, if either end is tight you wont be able to do the other end as the rack needs to be able to move about a bit. You dont need to disconnect the rack from the column.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No mate, I always just ask mike from Mwm to get me stuff as he gets a better deal off renault than I do.

also look at inner wishbone bushes , easy test i find for that is if it wanders when you apply and lift off the throttle .

"Navy" N17 TWO
Think a few people on here could make very good friends with anyone who knows how to locate these rack bushes :)

There was a few threads a while back about the rack making noise and these were the culprit, had/have it myself as well

"Navy" N17 TWO
No just rang them up, I'll get a number when I order them if you need it? :)

I'll also check that the clamps/bolts come too! I assume they should if everything's the same and in order?