ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stolen Recovered 172

Cooper S
Hello,

I have seen a nice Clio 172 for sale-Only thing is it has been stolen recovered and then repaired.
If the price is right-Would it put you off buying one or not.
I'm going to look at it later today and have a test drive and see if I like it-I not test drove 1 yet so will be nice to get a feeling of it.

Megane Mk4
probably put me off slightly.... the people that TWOC'd it wont have had a care in the world ... they would've ragged the RS out of the engine, mind you....

People who own cars do that too :D

lol

In a normal car it wouldn't bother me. But in something like a 172/182 which would get driven enthusiastically, you'd want everything to be spot on like it should be. Some damaged/repaired cars never drive as they did originally, suppose it depends on the extent of the damage and how well it was repaired.

Cooper S
Thanks-I'll have a look at it see if it has been repaired well or not.
It's from a garage so is good they advised straight away it's been stolen recovered.
It's had a new bonnet, O/S Wing and 2 headlights so I was told.

So long as it's not had any suspension damage or chassis bent at all, then you'll probably be fine, obviously just give the repaired bodypanels the once over

clio 182 black /gold
Depend on the damage and quality of repair. Check for pannel alinement. and the colour is correct and no over spray.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I would check the fromt slam panel for quality of repair and as long as your paying the right kinda money for then I Wouldnt be to bothered. History is must really as well.

Punto/Clio GTT
should be fine, open the bonnet n check the front panel, rad, flitches, just see if it looks same both sides n that theres no damage. ask them if the lights have been beam set up properly. check damage to the roof incase its got creased or kinked, check the colour of it, wings to doors, doors to quarters. check the gap on the end of the wing where it meets the headlight and compare it to the other side.
check the bonnet gaps to the wings that theyre both even. check the gap both sides on the lights while its closed.

check the alternator pulleys and belt, mine had been in a crash and the bottom pulley had become buckled, got through 3 belts before the garage realised what it was, total cost of repair £200 :(

Mondeo STTDCI
I'd agree with the above, if its not been put on a category, and if the only damage was body work which has been satisfactorily repaired and reflected in the price I would go for it.

But I would have to be VERY, VERY happy with it. I wouldnt worry so much about the evenness of gaps in the body panels as they arent completely even to start with IMHO.

However a new bonnet, wing and headlights makes me think the collision must have been considerable. Have they used Zenon lamps for instance of just gone with standard ones?

If you aint happy walk away. Dont get all over excited about it. It will probably be only £1000 cheaper than one that hasnt been crashed.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
this is £4750 if your interested - been in a bump but proffesional repair by Renault garage

Attachments

• 172.jpg
    172.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
  Cooper S
Update on the 172!
It was not as I expected. Very poor repair!
Lines were out on the bonnet and wing-Engine bay seemed ok.
Passenger window scratched when lowered, passenger door wouldn't open from outside!
All the alloys kerbed.
Service book seemed brand new with no stampings lol, only thing it had was a receipt for £300 odd for electrical work very recently-I presume to get systems reset etc!

This was a 51 plate with 36k on the clock up at £5k!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
j3ned said:
this is £4750 if your interested - been in a bump but proffesional repair by Renault garage

just looks like a silver cup, even has the badges but it has xenons, did the silver cups come with xenons. plus you wouldnt pay that money for the reg if it wasnt a cup!

Audi Q7, Avalanche
just a note on cars that have been recorded on the insurance register as cat c or cat d. In an ideal world everyone would want to go and buy a brand new car with full warranty and then have no depreciation and sell it for what you bought it for. sadly (sighhhhhh :dapprove: ) its not really true to life. comparing a insurance write off car to a second hand car is somewhat unfair and misleading (which i know hasnt really been done), i for one have had 5 or 6 insurance write off cars and really enjoy repairing them with my best friend and uncle (both highly experience mechanics, BMW, Audi, Renault etc..). If i were to go out and buy a good condition 172 cup 52 reg with 27k miles id pay around £7-9,000, where as if you spent time getting hold of a good repaired one or one which is in need of repair then there are massive savings to be had. the downside is that it will take time to fix and that once finished it will never be worth as much as an un-registered one. So its horses for courses really, but as some of the other members have said be wary of a cheap RS as there are quite a few hanging around scrap yards and to cash in on the younger market to make the cars more accessible (price wise) people literally throw them together and sell them on. always give them a once over, ring the hpi people and get a list of the damage that was recorded by the insurance company as most will have access to this information. it will show if they have tried to cover things up and make it look more presentable on the 'surface'. all in all i would say dont be put off by a stolen recovered or damage repaired vehicle (biased i know lol) as long as you understand that it will never be worth what similar models are.

the main areas to look for damage are the front slam panel, inner wings, boot floor (pull up the carpet and look for signs of welding or creases where it may have been pulled out), and check the gap lines between doors, boot and bonnet, but as suggested ive seen brand new clio's with dodgey gaps so dont put too much emphasis on them. if you feel comfortable with it (after a thorough check over and test drive) then buy it, but dont be dazzled and drawn to just the price, it has to satisfy you in all aspects. i got a real bargain with my 172 cup buying it from a friend and as suggested i have family and friends in the business who do 'mates rates' and a fabulous job to the highest spec so it works out i save £1000's and get a fabulous fun weekend/track car for ford focus money.

as for people ragging it when its stolen? yeah thats a problem, but to be honest ive seen worse driving by real owners! haha

i've bought/sold plenty of cat c/d write offs, good way to make a pretty penny or two

as long as the car is repaired to a satisfactory quality, there should be no more problems that you will get with any other car

I agree with drsmith and Bryan. I've got a Cat D damage repaired mk2 172 which I paid f**k all for a few months back. I had more problems from the brand new mk2 172 that I had 4 years ago and the Cat D cost me peanuts in comparison. As I bought it very cheap, when i move on I can sell it on very cheap. Drives absolutely spot on too. Provided you exercise caution and haggle like mad (I got £1500 off the asking price!) you can get a total bargin. Tesco weren't bothered about it being Cat D either.

suckmykiss said:
jus out of interest wot does cat c / cat d mean?

From a site I looked at when I was thinking about buying the car:

Category A - Must be crushed. All of it.

Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.

Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of vehicle.

Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

My car was 3 weeks old when it was in a light bump to the rear that pushed it into the car in front. The cost of new xenons, new bumpers and other bits of bobs brand new from Renault would have probably made it quicker and easier to sell the car on for repair and buy the owner a new one. It's now 4 years old, done 26000 miles now and I'm the 3rd owner and it's still going strong. Had nothing other than normal service items and new exhaust. Cheap as chips too :D

Audi Q7, Avalanche
With regards to the different classifications the best type to go for if you can get one is obviously cat D. as suggested above, this generally means the car has got panel damage and no real major structural damage, however, this isnt always the case, some cars get classed as cat D with no panel damage (or very minimal) as they have got light structural damage such as suspension. theres one on ebay now just like this with only suspension damage. the car ive got is a class C due to the fact the person who i bought it off clipped something on the drivers front wing and span round into a plastic bollard which hit the rear drivers corner. the boot floor has been pushed in about an inch or so, so it will require putting on a jig or a dozer to pull it out, but not to straighten it as its 100% spot on. to get these done at dealers prices would cost a right bollock. i enquired at renault for all the parts i wanted and they quoted me £1756! then labour to fit, repair, paint, clean etc.. goes into the many £1000's so it would be very uneconomical to do from that point of view. however, as ive suggested before i have friends and family in the business so have sourced all genuine renault parts 100% are either brand new in wrapping or a few months old in mint condition from a donor vehicle, which cost less than half of what renault wanted. so from my position im going to have a spanking gorgeous 52 reg 172 cup for £2-4k cheaper than cars with similar spec and service history. so to me its a winner! besides it gives me something to do as i have no friends! haha