ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone Automotives PH1 172 Mile Eater - 127,000 currently!!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Stone Automotives PH1 172 Mile Eater - 127,000 currently!!!

Well as most of you know I sold the ever so freshly restored mint PH1 172 just before Christmas as I was driving to the French Alps and didn't fancy loosing it on the drive there! Mountain climbs + Snow/Ice - Clio fail likely!

So she was sold :dapprove:

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

And replaced with another PH1 172 but with almost double the miles under its belt, Providing there looked after the F4R really is solid little unit! So the car in question which was purchased from a fellow CS member -

1-10.jpg

2-7.jpg

Granted it was in very good condition body work & interior wise for the age/miles but the engine was in need of some love, Nothing terminal after investigation but would require cambelt/rocker cover re-seal so all parts were ordered from Renault SMC to get it back up to fighting form, Couple of "its in bits" pictures -

Rocker cover re-sealed & new genuine Renault Cambelt kit fitted along with the rest of the full 72k/ 5 year major service, the plan was just to get every thing done so that it could be a reliable daily driver!

35.jpg

Race logic traction control completely removed

36.jpg

So a few weeks of commuting it didn't miss a beat so I took the leap of faith and decided to book it in for the 1,500 mile round trip to the Alps!

Looking filthy even with silver hiding the worst of it -

4-6.jpg

Transformed into the Clio Van for the road trip!

5-6.jpg

After the other half had packed "her stuff" :dapprove:

6-6.jpg

Set-off mileage

7-6.jpg

Getting ready to board the train, fooking cold!

8-4.jpg

9-4.jpg

Set route on the Iphone Tomtom app

10-4.png

So along this journey the Clio ran faultlessly for hours just sitting between 80-110 (kph obviously ;)) untill about mid way through I hear a thud, car seems to be driving okay but on coming cars are flashing me, so pull into the lay by to be greeted by the bonnet on the second latch! thats a feel sick moment as if it had failed she would have been a write off! so clip it back down give it a good pull by hand and all seems fine so I do what any man does & blames the misses "you must of caught the handle without knowing" etc etc so on we go and 20 minutes later the same happens.. at this point i'm half way through the journey so I pull over and assemble a make shift bodge which cure's the problem for the rest of journey but was still in the back of my mind it could "go"

Apart from the bonnet it ran faultless for hours on end & climbed the last half a mile of the mountain in reverse

11-3.jpg

Far from ideal snow tyres & going with out chains was a big fail on my half, 10 mph if that when climbing the mountain!

13-1.jpg

So all parked up in the under ground I enjoyed 2 weeks of snowboarding with the family, couple of days of good weather but mostly flat light with all the snow

14-1.jpg

2 weeks up it was time to leave but I had left the interior light :dapprove: flllllaaaaaattttt

The Clio was the smallest car in the car park lol - Hero/mega fail points earned here ;)

15-1.jpg

The conditions on the departure morning, no chains + no snow tyres = slow drive down - shall invest next time!

16.jpg

Drove home fine & finally found a new formed friendship/trust with the high miler! the salted lower half of the mountain drive was skechy but so much fun!

So a few weeks past by and the wheels were looking worse and worse so I decide to give them some much needed TLC, few rattle cans of Matt black + Oz stickers I got to work one afternoon

17.jpg

Shiny new wheel bolts I found in the shed!

18.jpg

Finished item

19.jpg

After the bonnet I fitted some aero's plus they look boss :cool:

28.jpg

New Stickers complete

27.jpg

Suede giving up on life but still such an epic steering wheel compared too the standard PH1

31.jpg

One bored Sunday morning I decided to give the car a decent detail & get some pictures

32.jpg

34.jpg

35-1.jpg

33.jpg

Treated the car to new ball joints & track rod ends up front given the miles the standard stuff had covered! Spent the next few weeks just really enjoying the car until one evening last week I follow a Mercedes jeep and as he passes along a brick is spotted underneath his motor, less than two car lengths I clip the dam thing with no where to turn.. I hear/feel the bang and can see what looks like is something leaking from behind, switch off & coast, fortunately into a petrol station less than 50 meters from the death spot

Mike from Michael Woodford Motorsport came to the recovery rescue, Who needs the AA ;)

36-1.jpg

Fortunatly I got it switched off before any real oil loss occured, once at the petrol station it dripped a good 3-4 litres of oil on the forecourt

37.jpg

Once towed back I decided to spend the evening changine the sump, Nothing like a 3am finish!

38.jpg

A spare Mike had, Spent some time in the part washer

39.jpg

So now really just enjoying it again till the summer returns where it can come off the road and hopefully some fun can begin! the current specification details

http://www.stone-automotive.com/index.php/development-cars/current-phase-1-172

H
ope it was an enjoyable read, comments welcome :)

James

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome with the little touches you have done. I now own your old ph1. very nice you have done a lovely job with it :).

182 track, Mk7 ST
Not bad at all for a little old Clio lol!

Seriously have got a soft spot for ph1 172's :approve: wouldn't mind one as a track car and keep the 182 as a pure road car!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Cars looking ace tbh James, our PH1 will be undergoing a restoration back to 'mint' status like your 1st one over the coming weeks, i.e. when it gets less cold.

Your mileage is low btw ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
You have almost 100k miles on my phase1 and it's still looking great. Will you be tracking this?

Clio dci
great stuff, that road trip looks awesome, bar the bird obviously and her luggage ;)

Lol Thats what I thought about the luggage, is that little bag yours? I suppose to look at it from her point of view she would look great with all that make up on and the correct colour shoes on for when they find your frozen body's in the car stuck in a snow drift lol?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Nice trip and write up there mate. Looks like a tidy little example.

Lucky on the bonnet catches giving warnings first!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Haven't got any real up-dates other than the PH1 is on the verge of 130,000 miles!

Terrible weather has left it a state over the past few weeks -

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

Small detailing session -

DSC02984.jpg

The old girl continues to take on the miles with just no issues, Oil consumption is next to nothing over the past 4,000 miles so it seems all is well, Hopefully get it on Surrey Rolling Road to find out what power its running in the coming months!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Puts my mind at ease when I knows there still a fair few out there with 130k+.

Car looks lovely too :).

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
:( How come dude!

Had plans to move it to the next level..... but! I bought a Renault Sport over the weekend that was more suited to the task!

Would just keep it as a spare but have enough cars as it is lol

Hopefully I won't have to break it for parts :dead: