ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone Chip Repair

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
So I have an R56 Mini Cooper S. it's crap and as a result I am returning it to Mini in the coming months as I am reaching the point in my finance agreement where I can give it back as I will have paid 50% of the finance.

i have taken all additional cost into consideration, one of which is repairing any damage which is not classed as reasonable by mini. The only things are stone chips, one is really bad.

it is all the way through to the metal. It has been smart repaired but the work was awful and the metal is now showing again. Fortunately there is no rust but it needs to be be repaired before I return the car so I am looking for some advise.

i want to get it repaired or repair it myself but I need to make sure it don't get charged for it once I return the car, has any one got any advise on the best way forward.

How good a job can a good smart repair do and who is good in the midlands area?

is it possible to get a good result doing it myself and what kit should I use?

has anyone returned a car to mini or BMW in similar circumstances to me and can advise what sort of standard of repair they will be looking for?

Anymore advise or info would be good.

Thank you,
Will

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Be good if you could post a picture for people to see how bad the chip is mate.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
b7f87f03a1a639066ca385e4d29bb758.jpg

Not a great photo as it is dark. I can do a better picture if needed tomorrow. Also ipad is making uploading a bigger pic difficult. If you click on it it seems to enlarge the image.

Smart repairs are fail full stop, repair it properly or leave it well alone, if they dont like the repair they could well demand much more work doing, and could cost you more in the end. Where is it on the car? bumper?

We get 1 or 2 people every few months popping in with lease cars etc, looking for a cheap job........i say that same thing to all of them.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
youre willing to take sand paper to your paint? :eek: you have larger balls than me my friend lol

Worst case is it needs reprinting, if its pepper in stone chips, it needs repainting anyway, not much to lose really.

And ... Balls of steel!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Smart repairs are fail full stop, repair it properly or leave it well alone, if they dont like the repair they could well demand much more work doing, and could cost you more in the end. Where is it on the car? bumper?

We get 1 or 2 people every few months popping in with lease cars etc, looking for a cheap job........i say that same thing to all of them.

it is on the bonnet, pretty near the light and is very obvious. What do you think having it sprayed properly would cost? Is it even worth doing it or better sending it back and hoping the bill isn't too big. It concerns me tho as the mini / BMW rates won't be cheap!!

Worst case is it needs reprinting, if its pepper in stone chips, it needs repainting anyway, not much to lose really.

And ... Balls of steel!

i think there are only 3 total all on the bonnet. I don't want to re-spray it unless I have to so don't want to risk messing it up even more.

inferno 182.
Ive got a car park full off ex lease cars! ive got an insignia thats been touched in all over badly and now needs a respray! This will be charged to the lease company! Simons correct saying leave it alone!! maybe covered in the fair wear and tear! if In doubt take it to a dealer and ask them!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Ive got a car park full off ex lease cars! ive got an insignia thats been touched in all over badly and now needs a respray! This will be charged to the lease company! Simons correct saying leave it alone!! maybe covered in the fair wear and tear! if In doubt take it to a dealer and ask them!

I think that is the best plan, I will take it to dealer and ask if they will pull me up on it.

Unfortunately I think it will not be classed as wear and tear as it is through the paint to the metal, mini have told me that this will mean it is not W&T. I will find out what they will charge me when I return it.

Does anyone have an idea of cost if I get the bonnet sprayed myself?

I think that is the best plan, I will take it to dealer and ask if they will pull me up on it.

Unfortunately I think it will not be classed as wear and tear as it is through the paint to the metal, mini have told me that this will mean it is not W&T. I will find out what they will charge me when I return it.

Does anyone have an idea of cost if I get the bonnet sprayed myself?

Don't point it out! If they spot it and say something, be ready with an answer. Don't deliberately point it out to them so they know you're worried about it.

Just to point out, filling the stone chips with the following method has worked for me several times.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217520&highlight=scratch+repair