ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STOP light at about 80mph!

hopefully someone else has had this happen cos i nearly sh*t myself!

Whenever im doing any considerable speed round a long left hand bend the STOP light and the handbrake light both come on, flicker for a bit and then go out when i,m on the straight again - is it just a loose connection somewhere?

Help.....anyone!:(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Sounds like a bit of faulty wiring, the stop light shouldnt come on with just a faulty handbrake switch.

Im sure I saw this flicker in my car while going round a sharp corner but its never done it since, and to be honest i wasnt sure it happend the first time.. I might have just imagined it.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

im 99% sure that will be that when u r going round the corner your brake fluid is sloshing about, and the sensor is thinking the fluid botle is empty, might be worht topping yours up a bit.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Mines recently started doing exactly the same. Only on one bend so far ... the fast left as you come off the M3 onto the M27 at "considerable speed" too.

Reckoned on the same diagnosis as MaLicE, but as far as I could see when I checked the levels above min. Frigging hard to see tho since the bottles almost opaque. Still reckon that thats the problem tho ... fluid sloshing.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

So ... what fluid to use when just topping up? Been years (and many cars) since Ive had to mess around with fluid (and repeated brake bleeding)!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Nah ... the repeated bleeding was on the old cars ... worst was my first VW Polo (original S-plate Mk1) which had truly terrible brakes. Took about 5 goes to get thru an MOT once ... just kept adjusting brakes, bleeding the system, warming them up, going to the MOT garage, until it passed!

On 172 expect just to pour a bit of fluid into the reservoir, but wasnt immediately sure what fluid to buy!?

I had this and it was a bit unnerving until I got used to it - I just topped it up and made sure I had some idea of how much meat was left on the pads....