ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopped by the Police - Egham

VW Potato

just coming back from a lunch time kebab with my work mates, I was driving up toward Virginia Water when an unmarked Astra behind me stuck on his blueys. Didnt think Id been speeding so pulled over and got out my car before he did.

I walked over to them both and the officer in the passenger said it was a random spot check as they has been a lot of car crime in the area recently and they wanted to check my details (three blokes in a fast car look a bit suspect, apparently). I said sure, and apologized that I reeked of Kebab. he laughed, checked my details, address, dob, what i did for a living, checked to see if I had a police record, checked the tax etc and then asked for my insurance docet. Said I didnt have it with me, and he said it was an offense to drive without it. I genuinely didnt know that, and he said well you seem like a decent lad so i wont give you a producer, but do bear it in mind in case you get stopped again. He then asked where I got my kebab from and if Id recommend it! :)

After that, he thanked me for my time and said i was free to go.

I say again - in all my dealings with the Police, they have been nothing less than polite and professional, just as they were today. I suspect the real reason they stopped me was because of the terrorist alert - and you cant complain about that.

Drive safe,

g

it werent a blue astra was it. popped down to sainsburys in staines/egham yesterday lunch and they were there pulling over random people. werent sure if it was a speed trap or something to do with this terrorist stuff .

VW Potato

no nev mate, it was a white one, with lights hidden in the grill and, if im correct, attached to the sunvisors as well. Initially, i thought it was a spoof. Now i come to think of it, they didnt show me any id, and they took my address...wonder if my motor will still be there tomorrow morning...:confused:

g

its not illegal to drive without your insurance document i dont think?

i keep a photo copy just to save hassle, however all they can do is give you a producer and you have to go to your local police station within 7 days or something.

VW Potato

well, i wasnt given a producer, or any grief or a fine or anything. so maybe i got lucky? :) Ill check tonight - the chap who lives below me is a policeman.

g

you do not have to carry any documents at all in your car, in fact, you are advised not to incase your car is nicked! That is why producers were invented! The only offence is to not produce your documents within the 7 day period.

I have had the same thing myself and the copper had to ring in and check I was right! Funny cos he admitted he had been wrong (nearly fell over when he apologised!)

ALWAYS ask for ID when you are pulled by an unmarked car, they should, according to THEIR guidlines do that anyway. I had a white cavalier chase me a few years ago with blues on and when I stopped it was just a young lad being a prat, happened 3 nights in a row, I reported it, 4th night it was a Police car and I didnt stop! took a lot of talking to calm the copper down who had just chased me for 6 miles while I was on the phone to the local nick(handsfree of course). Only got away with it cos I had made a complaint and was working my wat towards the Police station at the time.:oops:

VW Potato

well, there were two of them in the car. It was a white current shape Astra, they had constabulary ties on, no hats, no high-viz jackets, a phone in the car with a conventional handset like youd see in HeartBeat (im not kidding), what looked like a police-issue note book, and they didnt show any i.d. (nor did i ask them to). So whats the worst they can do if they are not police - nick my car? Plus my mates can i.d. them as well as one of them checked my tax was up to date.

g

i try to be really polite to the police. They are just doing their jobs, however when they start acting smart I do get annoyed.

one of them said to me "is that your car", "yes thats my car", "what do you do", "i work part time in halfords", "aye? how can you afford that then"......"sorry, but thats none of your business"

he wasnt chuffed at my comment, but i wasnt too happy at his arrogant comment either. Just make sure you know your rights, cause there are plenty of coppers out there who dont have a clue.

VW Potato

thats a bit mad, isnt it! Small world eh? If youre going to the Lonodn -Brighton thing this year and if youre interested in travelling with another Clio from the area, let me know.

cheers,

g

i will come along on that london to brighton thing with you too if ur both going.

i wouldnt worry bout mate, there are so many police around at the moment pulling people over i would imagine it was police.

VW Potato

ok nev thats cool, lets send some pms nearer the time with mobile numbers etc and we can arrange where to meet.

cheers!

g