ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopping my discs from rusting - will it damage them?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
As the car isn't being used atm the discs are getting a nice surface coat of oxide which would normally be removed by just using it
This is the current state
Front:
IMG_1613_zpsaeui3mcb.gif

Rear:
IMG_1614_zpsfzhyyoke.gif

Fronts are about 30k miles, rears were new this summer. The fronts I am not too fussed about if I need to replace them or will last one track day, the grooves on them are getting quite flush. But I don't want to have to replace the rears seeing as they are nearly new!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Remove pads, oil then up..

Clean off all the oil when you wanna re use..

Sounds like more effort than it's worth? It is.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I am happy to have them like this if they are not going to cause pitting and that. Car should be back on the road in February so it shouldn't build up with occasional use. Oh, the handbrake is also off and held in gear on a flat driveway.
Does seem like a faf, but if I had thout about it I may have done it back in September.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've given up on discs - I put brand new rear discs on 2 months ago, I'd been through the trouble of painting them properly....
They look just as s**t as if I hadn't bothered.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
As above, plastic bag/bin bag over the wheel or brakes to shield them from the weather.

Theyll clean up from where they are, but not if theyre left to get worse all winter. Mine was stored outside this summer and I ended up replacing the rears, properly ruined.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I'd personally leave them. I've done that before and yes it's horrible for the first 50 miles but after that they'll be totally fine