ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Engine noise

Hi all,

Parked up this evening and i could hear a strange noise coming from the engine bay.

So I got my camera and a light and took a few video's of this strange noise.
From what i can hear, the noise is louder from the left hand side of the engine.

I took a few videos. I took 1 from the front wheel arch. As i could hear it a little clearer from there.

Any ideas? Is it just the cold or?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeiH..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnmIs..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qH_L..._order&list=UL

Thought i would update this post, as it might be of use to someone else.

The car has been with Renault for the last two days.

They have admitted that they can hear the noise and that it is coming from the cam-belt pulley area. However, as its only making the noise they feel it does not need to be replaced under warranty. They say its not affecting the car and it will go away once the cam-belt is done this year.

Lets hope it does not cause an issue until it is needed to be replaced.

that's the cambelt tensioner tapping against its stops IMO

get them to do it under warranty!!

Hi Fred,

When I go down to the dealership this afternoon, I will ask again. And if it still falls on deaf ears I will get them to put it in writing.

Without the technical know how and evidence to back it up, i fear they will just fob me of again....

Lionel Richie
well if it didn't make the noise before and has only just stared doing it then IMO the tensioner has moved out of position which is causing the the tapping noise, seen it loads of times

Thanks Fred I shall mention that to them this evening.

Certainly did not make that noise when I brought it in Sept.

Anyone else have a similar problem? With regards to warranty work?

Went to pick up the car this evening.

I had a discussion with them regarding the cam-belt. And they advised it needs to be done sooner rather than later (So they kind of shot themselves in the foot there).

They are going to speak to the warranty company tomorrow and call me.

I was speaking with the services manager at the branch for about 30mins. still resulted in not wanting to put down, if the cam-belt goes bang they will replace it and other parts.

But i have made it clear i certainly will not be paying for it if it does go bang before it needs replacing.

Just spoken to RUK.

Bottom line is, they do not think the noise is a problem and they will not replace the item / items that go with it.

The Cam-belt pulleys and tensioners are serviceable items (As with anything on a car if you leave it long enough)

They would only replace said parts if it goes totally wrong. And there is no guarantee after my warranty runs out that they will replace it either. They would only "look into it"

I can understand there side and where they are coming from, and it may not go wrong until it needs to be replaced in September 2012. But you never know.

:(

Lionel Richie
get your cash out then, looks like your not going to get anywhere, to give you an idea we're £475inc vat with 12months warranty, to do cambelt kit, waterpump, coolant and aux kit (geunine parts)