ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange humming/vibrating, AST Top mounts?

I have a strange humming noise coming from my 172. It's quite hard to figure out where it's coming from as sometimes it sounds like the front sometimes it sounds like the back.

I was thinking it may be a wheel bearing, but it's not a constant noise, it changes volume depending on the road surface i.e how crappy it is. Just had the rear disks changed last week so it has brand new rear wheel bearings (the noise was there before I had them changed).

I've checked all top mounts are tightened up, checked the rear struts are tightened up, swapped over all 4 wheels to different tyres and have checked it's not the exhaust, the noise also stays there when I dip the clutch and freewheel along the road.

This may be a stupid question, but do any of you think it could be the AST topmounts I have on the car? As they are solid they have to send the vibrations elsewhere and this is what I can hear coming through the car? I had a good search but can't find any thread on this topic. Any other suggestions would be great as I'm stumped lol.

Thanks in advance.