ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange knocking noise

This is a bit weird, the car did it earlier but seems to have stopped doing it now.

I need some bushes on my suspension as I get clunks when maneovering slowly, it could be related as the knock feels/sounds the same but its doing it under different circumstances.

Basically I was driving earlier and took my foot off the loud pedal. I thought I heard a series of knocks. So put my foot on the accelerator to maintain speed, lifted off and again heard a series of knocks.

Then I needed to shut the exhaust up to hear the knocks better so going down a slight hill I laid off the accelerator & pushed the clutch in and there it was.

Knocking fast, maybe 2-3 knocks per second, at 30mph ish. Knocks more with the clutch depressed.

I took bryera out to show him the noise and he could hear it aswell at first. Then it just suddenly dissappeared. And 50 miles later hasn't re-appeared.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

S3, Polo
Could be any of these, I'd imagine:

Strut-top bearing/ mount?
Wishbone bush?
Anti-roll bar bush?
CV Joint?

But if it's gone away, don't worry about it! :D

It's back again =\

Had the car to a mechanic friend of mine and all he can find up is a lot of play in the offside bottom ball joint so we have ordered one of those. Failing that I will order a complete Powerflex suspension bush kit for the car and see if that rectifies it.