ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noise between 5000-6000 rpm

Hi

Ive got a bit of a weird one for you, dont know if anyone else has this, but I have noticed a strange noise between 5500-6500 rpm.

It sounds a but like its comming from the front left of the engine bay and its had to describe, its almost like a harsh hum, similar to a deep kazoo or blowing tissue paper over a comb. I have a sneeking suspicion that it is something to do with the air box.

I had a look the other day and the tube that feeds the air box (feels abit like synthetic felt) is very slightly kinked as it goes into the airbox. Not enough to really restrict the flow but enough to make me think that somone did a shoddy job fitting it at the factory.

The one thing that does concern me is that it might me a hole in the air filter but I suspect that this is unlikely.

Someone put me out of my misery, do any of your 172s blow raseberrys at you?

MB

Must just be me then

Looks like Ill have to open that funny hatch thing at the front of the car and see if I can see whats wrong :cry:.

Cheers

MB

hmmm, i aint gotta 172 but a 1.2 16v and with a filter fitted up to 4 and a bit thousand revs it roars, but between 4500 and 5500 it screams or makes a noise like ur describing anyway, dont know if this helps but it was fun! heh

Matt

ph2 172
Even so it's old but I can confirm my 172 does just the same at 70/80.
I thought it was the temp thingy under the passenger mirror humming.