ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange power loss yesterday

BMW M3
Was heading up the A1 back to Edinburgh and the car was still reletively cold as i had only been driving 10 mins.

Went to pass a slower car at about 60 mph and when i accelerated in 5th it just lost so much power. The more i tried to get past the slower it would go.

I shamefully dropped back behind the car and it just kept getting worse..... eventually getting to around 45 mph. So hazards lights came on and i limped to the next layby.

Switched off, checked engine bay etc and then off i went as if nothing had happened. Bizzare !

Anyone shed any light on what that may have been. I sense expense looming ! :(

Not a poxy Renault
Happens to mine when cold (first couple of minutes, not uncommon aparrently) and it has also happened a couple of times when warm. I originally put it down to a dodgy centre exhaust section, but I changed that and it didn't solve the problem. It can't be the Cat because thats sat in my garage.
I wouldn't worry, just monitor it and if it happens again a couple of times take it to the dealers (as long as you're in warranty still)
When it happens to me I generally dip the clutch and rev lightly a couple of times, it seems to help taking the load off of the engine.
Think I've read that the VVT, which engages sub 2000rpm, doesn't activate below a certain engine temp which causes these funny loss of power spells. Doesn't help to explain why it happens when the engine is warm though!

BMW M3
Thanks mate,

Yeah mine doesnt run too clever when cold but its never acted like that before. It was like the accelerator was the brakes.

Also mines been modded with remap, exhaust and other bits etc... getting it apparently to 200 bhp so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Not a poxy Renault
I've got a remap etc too, when it first happened I contacted Paul at RSTuning, who did the map, he said it could not be map related. Fire an E-mail off to whoever did the map though just to ask, let us know what they say.

BMW M3
That will be it then as my temp sensor has been bust for ages. Shows what ever it likes. Not in warrenty though so not in a rush to get it fixed. Will if it keeps doing this though. Thanks