ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange rattle from engine

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I've got a strange noise coming from what sounds like the left hand side of the engine bay, after accelerating to about 3000 - 4000 rpm, when I lift off, there is a rattling noise. Almost sounds like it is coming from the left wheel arch?

Any ideas?

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Check the Fuel Rail guard at the front of the engine although thats more noticeable at low revs and sounds more like a clattering.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Hmm, yeah got an engine cover, but it sounds like something on the left hand side, almost near the glovebox/ wheel arch, is a rattle but also sounds like it is something metal vibrating, only when I am accelerating or just lifted off in the mid rev range.

guess there'll be lots of things it could be, but could check the tightness of the lower nut on the upper gearbox mount (under battery) as it can make odd noises if it's loose (was a strange 'twittering' noise on mine)

the lower nut is only accessible from the wheel arch, which might tie in with where you think the noise is coming from?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I think that is what it is, I'm not very good with mechanics etc.

SDC16968.gif

SDC16973.gif

Is it a problem or just an annoying noise to live with?

Octavia vRS tfsi
Mines like that aswell, must stick a washer on it over the weekend and see does it cure any one of many rattles I currently have!

Clio 182,5GT Turbo Raider
Mines broken too, but also the cat has a split in it and the exhaust baffles are loose so i dont notice it making a noise!

Clio 172
Thought i'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one.

Anyway my 172 was doing the same but i put it down to the standard exhaust being a f**ked, but after fitting a new decat and full supersport system at the weekend its still rattling.
It's as described above rattles after lift off from 3k rpm downwards and only happens when car is hot, sounds like a ball bearing is trapped in the exhaust! so f**king annoying.

I was worried it could be the timing belt or aux belt but i was told by previous owner these where changed 2k miles ago.

Any ideas?.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Mine turned out to be the exhaust, so I had a K-tec stealth fitted recently, solved my problem, so yours must be different.

Clio 172
Yeah i think so i just fitted a Ktec decat pipe and supersport with the unsilenced centre section. It does sound like its coming from the manifold area though. I had it on the ramps last night and gave the exhaust a good inspection and nipped up all the joints but still the rattle came back this morning.:mad::mad:

Cheers for the reply though.