ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Street Photography

Has anybody tried Street photography?

If so how did you find it and whats your take on it,as im headed to edinburgh a couple of times over the next couple of weeks and keen to try it

cheers

I'd love to do more street photography. Trouble is, walking around with a huge SLR and massive lenses does make you look like a weirdo, and forget even pointing it anywhere near a kid!!

I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I guess you have to not give a monkeys what people think, which I cant lol!

Swift Sport
A friend of mine does a lot of street photography, including candid photos. He admits it's got him in a fair bit of bother in the past.

I'd love to do more street photography. Trouble is, walking around with a huge SLR and massive lenses does make you look like a weirdo, and forget even pointing it anywhere near a kid!!

I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I guess you have to not give a monkeys what people think, which I cant lol!

from what i've read and watch prime lens are the more favoured kit but im going to try it with my 18-55 kit lens, and as for not caring what people think ill just have to wait and see...dont think a what photography kids at the moment

A friend of mine does a lot of street photography, including candid photos. He admits it's got him in a fair bit of bother in the past.

What kind of bother? anything serious?

Use a mirrorless camera with a flip up screen looks like your fiddling with a phone at waist height.

Swift Sport
Nothing too bad I don't think, just interrogations and accusations from the public. I think some people take offence when someone points a camera at them.

Use a mirrorless camera with a flip up screen looks like your fiddling with a phone at waist height.

Wish i had the luxury of having a second camera

Nothing too bad I don't think, just interrogations and accusations from the public. I think some people take offence when someone points a camera at them.

yeah read a few place that it can happen but they see just explain what your doing and offer to delete the photo or ask them if they'd like a copy

Swift Sport
Indeed. I'm pretty sure he's okay once he's explained himself.

He was once asked to do a shoot for a friends daughters prom night, he said he'd never felt so uncomfortable! Surrounded by hot teenagers in skimpy prom dresses... I can only imagine! haha!

German V6
Did it once but was on holiday in spain so didn't really give a fcuk, wouldn't do it locally.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure he's okay once he's explained himself.

He was once asked to do a shoot for a friends daughters prom night, he said he'd never felt so uncomfortable! Surrounded by hot teenagers in skimpy prom dresses... I can only imagine! haha!

that's good, thats all you really need to do according to what ive read,also a thing its just abit different compared to what i normally see

Yeah must have been torture lol

Did it once but was on holiday in spain so didn't really give a fcuk, wouldn't do it locally.

How come you would do it at home?

2.2 bar shed.
You just have to not give a flying f**k and be willing to take s**t for what you're doing.

German V6
that's good, thats all you really need to do according to what ive read,also a thing its just abit different compared to what i normally see

Yeah must have been torture lol

How come you would do it at home?

Dunno just that sense of awkwardness and probably because it's boring round here, Sam has a pretty good theory lol.

Heres a few examples of my own street snaps. Really helps having a waist level viewfinder i.e a flip down lcd screen. Also keep your camera in your hand not round your neck!

6283731775_ffd58a1439_z.jpg

The Break Up by Brazo76, on Flickr

6283733515_efb70cbdfc_z.jpg

The Accordian Player by Brazo76, on Flickr

6284255248_7b84e54210_z.jpg

The Nonchalant Couple by Brazo76, on Flickr

6887830457_f86ae2e2aa_z.jpg

Coffee by Brazo76, on Flickr

6887828115_16d77d6a6c_z.jpg

Don't Do It! by Brazo76, on Flickr

6791040537_e83aefac75_z.jpg

London Street Photography 3 of 3 by Brazo76, on Flickr

6791037003_24f301972e_z.jpg

London Street Photography 2 of 3 by Brazo76, on Flickr

6791031305_aa5350b3fa_z.jpg

London Street Photography 1 of 3 by Brazo76, on Flickr

My missus shoots plenty of street photography with a 55-250 lens, usually closer to 250mm which seems far enough away for most "subjects" not to mind too much.
That has been mostly abroad though, not been in the UK too long, although we have grabbed some people shots in Yorkshire and most don't seem to mind.

2.2 bar shed.
Shooting street at 400mm equivalent? Jesus, is she trying to shoot voyeur street or something? There'll be no connection, the images will be totally flat and lack any depth? If you're shooting traditional street you'll want to be between 24 and 85mm to have any kind of connection. 35mm on a crop is about spot on really.

Images are coming out quite well usually and to be honest, not right up to 250mm that often.
Not a case of building confidence, just not going up to strangers pointing a camera in their face in places where English is rare.
I'm sure in the UK, it wouldn't be too hard just to talk to people and explain what you're doing if asked right?

Can you post a few so I can she her results if you don't mind?....as for explaining to people a think it'll depend on what part of the country I'm thinking with edinburgh being a tourist city it maybe not to bad aslong as I'm not directly in their faces

LY 182 FF CUPPED
If you get massively questioned, throw them a business card to allow them to see more of your work. Offer them an image via email, be polite etc etc. what we do isn't a crime, so try not to act like a criminal that just wants to snatch images..........explain exactly what you are trying to achieve. More often than not people unless offended will try and help you out.
Or get a smaller camera and learn to blend in.

I'm still feeling like a knob walking around with the x100 here at heathrow! Got a few shots, but I would get a lot more if I didn't give a monkeys what other people think.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
People are so wrapped up in their own worlds Dan they rarely give a poo poo.

Just take the shot, smile and walk away

I don't have any images to hand from the good lady. Will see what I can find.
Seems weird being back in the UK. After travel and shooting photos of locals of all ages, I now feel like a right paedo taking basically any people shots as there are usually some kids around somewhere and I'm sure someone would complain!