ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped Clio weight..

Clio 172 CUP (Race car)
Anyone here actually had their stripped clio weighed?? If so what did it weigh?

I ask as I stopped at 2 weigh bridges today to check the weight of my 172 cup track car.. I was a bit disappointed with the result, Both said 1090kg with me and half tank of petrol. I tried it without me in it and it came back as 990kg, which was spot on as I'm almost exactly 100kg...

I accept that the roll cage has added some back on, but I was disappointed as this only seems to be no more than 20-30kg less than standard car, and mine is completely stripped..

Can anyone else share their figures or weight reduction tips? And yes, I could lose weight myself..but I like my food too much:D
cheers
G

182 Cup
Weighed mine at work when it was new - 182 cup full of fuel, no-one in it:
Front axle - 730kg
Rear axle - 390kg
Total - 1120kg

With no rear interior, otherwise as above:
Front axle - 730kg
Rear axle - 360kg
Total - 1090kg

I've not weighed it with the bucket seats in the front, but it's on my to do list.

evilb66

ClioSport Club Member
  '02 172
I've got my 172 down to 832kg
Full glass and all metal panels. No cage.1 seat.
a very comprehensive weight-loss regime (stripped (- lots of kg), de-tarred(-8kg), a/c delete-4.4kg, lithium battery (-12.1kg), pms exhaust/manifold (-13.2kg) , compbrake brakes (-7.9kg) , sub 5kg wheels (-13kg), titanium bolts (-1.3kg), bonrath single wiper, carbon seat (-11.8 kg) demister blower (-3.1) , drillium (not much but it all counts), + a million other things)
Also has Pm240 motor, so P/W ratio is pretty snazzy (and ITBs instead of plenum/TB/intake/airbox saved about 8kg)
Measured using longacre corner scales

Last edited:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Worth noting that that public weighbridges have a pretty large margin for error, as they're for weighing trucks rather than cars, so that might partly explain it.

Had mine weighed a few times. At its most strippped state it was 931kg with around half a tank of fuel.

(that was with full dash, rear cage and no metal cutting out)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Considering everything inside a Clio other than the seats is made from paper and weighs less than a fart I’d say you’ve done alright.
Then factor in you put in a huge chunk of metal in its place and are still 30kg down on a stock car.

Until you go to a T45 cage, GRP panels, plastic windows and get mega trigger happy with an angle grinder I don’t think you can ask for much more.

Even on a standard car, some lightweight seats and an AGM battery are almost free performance with no trade off. 🙂

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
63B000A9-EFFB-41A0-96B0-8E35FE104B66.jpeg

That’s with me at 80kg, quarter of a tank of fuel.
It’s striped apart from head lining,radio,full dash.
Safety devices 6 point roll cage, painted interior, throttle bodies, cup alternator, brackets and tar removed, bucket seats x2, light weight battery, fire extinguisher, coilovers on rear and all steel panels and glass. Aluminium bonnet.

If I find or win lottery I’ll be going grp panels and windows.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1451423

That’s with me at 80kg, quarter of a tank of fuel.
It’s striped apart from head lining,radio,full dash.
Safety devices 6 point roll cage, painted interior, throttle bodies, cup alternator, brackets and tar removed, bucket seats x2, light weight battery, fire extinguisher, coilovers on rear and all steel panels and glass. Aluminium bonnet.

If I find or win lottery I’ll be going grp panels and windows.

Did you actually weigh the rear coilover vs the separate spring/damper setup?
Just interested to know if there was actually much difference? 🙂

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I didn’t weigh the difference but just guessed there’d be some weight saving.

Forgot to add brembo 4 pots and I had speed line 2118 wheels on at the time.
I’m thinking if you really want an out and out stripped light Clio you’ve got to go hard core with the doors, dash and windows.

For me I drive to and from a trackday and wanted some comfort too.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I didn’t weigh the difference but just guessed there’d be some weight saving.

Forgot to add brembo 4 pots and I had speed line 2118 wheels on at the time.
I’m thinking if you really want an out and out stripped light Clio you’ve got to go hard core with the doors, dash and windows.

For me I drive to and from a trackday and wanted some comfort too.

4 pots and 2118s aren’t exactly light either lol.

Just because it happened to be sitting there. I’ve just put a rear AST 5100 on the scales. 3.2kg
Perhaps if I remember I’ll weigh a cup damper/spring when they come off.
67B5AEA3-59BF-4376-B590-29BFD8E42BE5.jpeg