ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripping out interior wiring help

RS200 & PH2 172
So car is stripped of all interior panels, next plan is get rid of wires, but clueless as to where to go for the best solution, should i remove dash and then trace back to fuse box, if so what happens re seat airbags? Don't want loads of error codes. Although car is a pure track day s!ag I want it to be right

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
It would be a lot easier with the dash removed. I will be doing this very soon with mine. Only problem I had with my saxo when doing the same is some wires have earths etc so if you snip one wire that's linked with another it could disable that function. Has anybody on here experienced that with clio's when tidying stripping the interior loom?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I've just stripped my loom. I traced each wire back to its terminal/pin and removed the whole thing.

The only issue I had was when rebuilding it I get no response at all to the ecu, not even a dash light.

I can't see how I've cocked anything up so guess I've just not refitted it right as it was pitch black and snowing!

I'd buy a spare loom before you start.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Mine did the same as yours len_beach. Mine turned out to be the interior earths. I just creates 3 holes and self tapped screws in. Havnt cut it down yet but will post in here if I have any problems.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd research CAN networks and more importantly how the various systems in that vehicle are intergrated before you start cutting anything!

I once had someone follow this logic:

Start car, cut wire(s), if engine cuts out repair previously cut wire, done

... I can assure you now that logic is wrong.

220 Trophy
I recently stripped my dashboard and engine looms back on my track 172 (removed heater, fan unit, stereo, original seats, air-bags etc etc), I disconnected everything and brought the looms inside and laid them out on the lounge floor, really took my time and made sure everything still had earths etc, took a couple of evenings to do once out. After connecting back up had loads of problems with the clock lights and in the end had to replace both looms and I've still blown a wire/fuse/connection somewhere that I cant find!! The weight of the wires stripped was negligible and definitely doesn't warrant the time and effort taken to strip it and you are likely to cause lots of problems with the clock lights etc. My advise would be just to leave it all alone and just tie the unused parts of the loom up behind the dashboard.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I recently stripped my dashboard and engine looms back on my track 172 (removed heater, fan unit, stereo, original seats, air-bags etc etc), I disconnected everything and brought the looms inside and laid them out on the lounge floor, really took my time and made sure everything still had earths etc, took a couple of evenings to do once out. After connecting back up had loads of problems with the clock lights and in the end had to replace both looms and I've still blown a wire/fuse/connection somewhere that I cant find!! The weight of the wires stripped was negligible and definitely doesn't warrant the time and effort taken to strip it and you are likely to cause lots of problems with the clock lights etc. My advise would be just to leave it all alone and just tie the unused parts of the loom up behind the dashboard.
Sounds like my experience!

Although my second attempt was much more successful!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...looking-to-trim-their-loom-I-ve-done-it-today

220 Trophy
I replaced the dashboard loom 3 times in the end because the 1st two were not early PH1 looms (apparently there is a difference between early and late model PH1's!?) and then replaced the engine loom, still the lights appear in the clocks. I've even tried a replacement set of clocks. So its definitely not the dashboard loom or the engine loom or the clocks or any of the fuses.......

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Completed mine yesterday, within reason.
all of the airbag/pretensioner bits where unraveled from the main looms, slowly looped into its own loom out the top of the dash and then just insulated and secured where the airbag used to be.

Ive still retained the OBD plug and 12v socket down below the dash, fabricating a bracket for these today.

all seems neat and tidy and nothing broken or altered, apart from the Airbag ECU and pretensioners unplugged from thier relevant homes.

fingers crossed it all starts and works fine later this evening.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's a shame none of you guys live closer to me, otherwise I'd have done your looms for you. I've stripped mine back and removed all unwanted wiring/components. The obd port was retained and I can still access everything via that.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It's a shame none of you guys live closer to me, otherwise I'd have done your looms for you. I've stripped mine back and removed all unwanted wiring/components. The obd port was retained and I can still access everything via that.

You should offer a loom stripping service!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Lol! Tbf, I could actually do this as a 'while you wait' service! If the loom was fully accesible I'd say it would take no longer than 2-3 hours. That includes taping it all up again and making it tidy.

Glad you got on ok with yours this time around mate.

You'll have money rolling in!

Yeah, much more succesful this time. Thanks for your help with it. I can't see what I did wrong last time as I was very methodical and didn't disturb the CAN junctions other than clipping off the rogue wires. I think it may be as simple as unwrapping caused 1/2 broken wires.

She's very neat now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You'll have money rolling in!

Yeah, much more succesful this time. Thanks for your help with it. I can't see what I did wrong last time as I was very methodical and didn't disturb the CAN junctions other than clipping off the rogue wires. I think it may be as simple as unwrapping caused 1/2 broken wires.

She's very neat now.

Well the offer is there for anyone who wants to bring theirs to me! Providing it's easily accessible (preferably dash out) I'll happily do it.

No worries mate, glad to have advised/helped you with yours! Have you tried your obd port to make sure it communicates with the engine management and stuff mate?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Well the offer is there for anyone who wants to bring theirs to me! Providing it's easily accessible (preferably dash out) I'll happily do it.

No worries mate, glad to have advised/helped you with yours! Have you tried your obd port to make sure it communicates with the engine management and stuff mate?

I haven't to be fair although I am taking the RSTuner over at the weekend to clear any fault codes etc.