ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Struggling With Pads

Sport 172
Evening all,

Made a start on changing my discs and pads on my FF 172.

Problem I have come across is getting the piston on the caliper back far enough to take the new disc and new pads.

I've taken the cap off of the brake fluid resovoir (sp) as read on another post and it's still not having any of it. Any ways or ideas of making this easier.

thanks

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Either use a proper caliper piston tool or use a G-Clamp to push it back in - you wont be able to do it by hand trust me!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmm i just wedged a screwdriver against the old disc as i was replacing that to, took quite a lot of force to do it.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
You 'might' be able to do it with a large pry bar somehow but as DrRollo says use the old disc to pivot off!

Seriously mate - you're not going to do it any other way - where abouts are you?

Sport 172
Bradford in Yorkshire.

Luckily I'm not at work tomorrow so I can carry on working on it. Need a solution though as got to do the other side

Sport 172
Will get miself down to halfords tomorrow then to pick one up.

Do I just put something over the piston then to push it back?

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Take the caliper off - put the G Clamp screw part inside the caliper (if that makes sense) and then put the top of the G-Clamp on the outside of the caliper then screw the G-Clamp up - this will pull the piston back inside the caliper!