ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub Fitting

Clio
ive got a clio dynamique 2001 with the factory stereo, does anyone know if its possible to fit a sub without changing the head unit and how?
cheers

Its possible but i wouldnt run a 9 year old stereo without ipod or aux in, or lack of mp3 capability, change the head unit and speakers first then worry about boom!

Stripped yozza'd cup
Just don't. It will sound shocking, the bass will drown out the s**t heap Renault standard speakers and you'll look like a tool. Head unit and speakers first, always.

valver & 2002 mk2
Get a headunit with RCA capabilities, get some components in the front with fresh wiring, and if you're feeling flush - amp them with a 2 channel for extra sound quality and loudness. Then stick another set of components in the rear, or go with a pair of ol' faithful 6x9's on the parcel shelf also with fresh wiring (again you can amp these for extra clarity and power if you're up for splashing the cash) or run them from the headunit. Whack an amp in the boot and connect that to a suitable rating of sub and bobs you're uncle. Few ways to do it, but never use uprated speakers with standard wiring - that's an absolute must. No matter how good they are, they will sound really s**t.

However if you dont want to amp all your speakers ^^, you can run aftermarket speakers with decent wiring from the head unit, i currently run spl dynamics components in the front from the head unit, and some cheap edge 4 way coax's in the rear again off head unit, it sounds pukka, i also fitted my old faithful sony silver pentagon sub in the boot, and i'm running that from a 2 channel 600w amp, i also used decent sound deadening around the speakers to minimise on rattle!

here's my current setup in a twingo (pretty much a mk2 clio underneath):

Got a sony cdxgt530 head unit which didn't cost me a pennty

these up front with dynamatting connected to an old alpine crossover i had laying spare
Image0036.jpg

these in rear:
Image0048.jpg

my boot:
IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

All in all the sony sub i've had for yonks, got it at a super cheap rate due to a till f**k up in halfords 4 years back lol, head unit came from my cousins car which he wrote off, the amp i got for a bargain price brand new on ebay, front speakers cost me around 40 and rears 25, its not the best stuff in the world but i can't fault it

Prab

Last edited:
  Clio
rightt okay,
cheers for the advice guys, worth a try haha, the only thing i was worried about is the in-dash display wouldnt work all together and i didnt like the idea of just having a blank screen but i found out the clock and thermometer still work with an aftermarket head unit, and ive got stalk controls, but ive found an adaptor to make it work,
Cheers guys