ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sub wiring

clio 1.5 DCI 80
heya lads, ive just got home with my new 2002 dci80 and am WELL IMPRESSED! im going to be putting a sub in the beast but wanting to know where you guys have ran your wires.

also, it has a std h/unit in and ill be putting a new one in, will i need any ISO adapters?

ive looked through all of the "ice" section but couldnt find anything.
pics appreciated! lol

cheers in advance

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Hi mate. I put a sub in mine a couple of weeks ago. Now bearing in mind I'm usually proper s**t at doing stuff like this it was really easy.

The cable to the battery will go through where the bonnet release cable goes through. This is located up in the passenger footwell. You will see a rubber grommet with the cable going through the centre of it. Just push a screwdriver through one side of the grommet to make a hole.

What I did then was pushed the black earth cable through the hole into the engine bay. I used some duct tape to attach the live cable to the earth cable and then pulled the earth cable with the live one attached to it back through into the passenger footwell.

Some people on here have used some washing up liquid on the cables to help them slide through the grommet but I found it pulls through easy enough without it. Run the live cable down the passenger side and the RCA leads down the drivers side. Jobs a goodun.

With regard to the new head unit the Sony one I fitted connected straight to the connectors from the original head unit. If you still want to use the stalk controls you will need to buy a connector and a patch lead IIRC and they sell on eBay for about 20/30 quid.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
FYI, it's not always possible to get anything through the bonnet release grommet. I managed to get a wire through there on my 2004 DCI when I had that, but on my 172 there's no way you'd get a needle through there now.

So I just drilled a new hole, takes 2 minutes and is a better solution imo.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
FYI, it's not always possible to get anything through the bonnet release grommet. I managed to get a wire through there on my 2004 DCI when I had that, but on my 172 there's no way you'd get a needle through there now.

So I just drilled a new hole, takes 2 minutes and is a better solution imo.

lol I would of ended paying for someone to do that. Me and power tools don't mix. I'd probably end drilling a whole big enough to put your whole hand through.

ron has it right. you definitely don't need iso connecters, will probably need to swap the red and yellow wires round mind. If you get a stalk control adapter and patch lead make sure it's not the one which plugs into the back of the display as the whole dash has to come off to fit this. This one will have a weird red connecter on the end.

ITB BG 182
Some of the grommets are different from car to car, my 182 you have a cat in hells chance of getting 0awg through the grommet but in my mates 172 it was bloody easy.
You can buy wire grip things that will seal the hole on both sides an is a much easier option.

You might be able to get 8awg or possibly 4awg through, i dont fancy your chances with 0 or 2awg though.

ron has it right. you definitely don't need iso connecters, will probably need to swap the red and yellow wires round mind. If you get a stalk control adapter and patch lead make sure it's not the one which plugs into the back of the display as the whole dash has to come off to fit this. This one will have a weird red connecter on the end.

Exactly what he said, got my cable from MT Audio and it fits perfectly, previously had one from Halfrauds that required dash removal - safe to say I didn't go ahead with it.

clio 1.5 DCI 80
ive had a better look and the rubber is tighter than a camels arse in a sand storm! will have to drill the bulk head and do it that way.