ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subs and enclosures + front components

Clio 182
OK, so its been a while since I had a car and so Im a bit out of the loop with brands for decent quality ICE. I want to install a sub in my 182, and ideally something in a small enclosure suited to the limited boot space. Im thinking a 10" max, and probably a sealed enclosure. Can anyone recommend a good brand of sub and enclosure please? Also has anyone seen any good deals recently, possibly including an amp as I dont have anything for this part of the install yet.

For the rest of the system I have installed a Sony headunit which has plenty of capacity for audio outputs and zones. Got a converter and hooked up the steering wheel controls for what its worth. Ive had to replace the standard front door speakers as they were blown - Ive simply swapped them out for some Edge components - yes I know theyre s**t but I needed something for now! Im intending to use an Alpine amp I have knocking around and replace the door speakers properly - any advice on component sets that will slot straight in? What location have people used for mounting front amplifiers? Not sure about replacing the tweeters - is that a proper dash board out job? Also does anyone know if the standard mid/tweeter setup actually has a crossover wired in or if its just a split feed? Im just wondering if its worth replacing that at some point too!

Guess the general consensus is not to bother much with the rear speakers? I havent even checked what size they are but I doubt theyre really worth bothering with.

Long post but hopefully a few pps will have gone through all this a few times!

Cheers,

Deej
:)

1.6 Ford Focus
Not sure about a sub, I havent got that far yet... To be honest theres plenty of active subs around with amps built into them that do the job well.

I have Edge components in mine and they sounde absolute toss at first mounted on the plastic... however get yourself some wood speaker baffles, screw them to the wood and then screw the speaker to the wood and they sound awesome! It sounds like you have a small sub woofer in there just by mounting them on wood... plus the fact it solves quite a bit of rattling.

I have yet to fit the crossover and tweeters but I belive the cable is split instead of there being a standard crossover, or at least thats what its like in my Ph1... I would assume the 182 wouldn't be much different.

To change the tweeters you need to remove the top section of the dash, not the entire thing.

Clio 182
Yeah I hear making baffles does make the world of difference, I think I'll get round to doing that at some point, hopefully I can get the time to take the doors apart and get a decent amount of dynamat in there too which should cut down on the tinnyness and rattling.

Im kind of expecting to see that the tweeters dont have a crossover - means a fiddle installing the new ones but should mean a much better sound - its just finding a good out of the way place to stick em in where they wont fall out again!

So have you changed your factory tweeters for the edge ones then? Much difference in the sound quality? My standard ones sound bloody dire! lol

1.6 Ford Focus
Yeah I hear making baffles does make the world of difference, I think I'll get round to doing that at some point, hopefully I can get the time to take the doors apart and get a decent amount of dynamat in there too which should cut down on the tinnyness and rattling.

Im kind of expecting to see that the tweeters dont have a crossover - means a fiddle installing the new ones but should mean a much better sound - its just finding a good out of the way place to stick em in where they wont fall out again!

So have you changed your factory tweeters for the edge ones then? Much difference in the sound quality? My standard ones sound bloody dire! lol

Baffles do make a massive difference, I will be honest... I didn't make mine, I found some on ebay made from MDF for around £3 for a pair haha! I bought those and drilled the holes in the right place myself using that template thing that comes with Edge speakers. Dynamat is probally worth it as well, I hear good things about it... but again I have yet to find out for myself... I had to take the door card off before and it's not fun.

Im pretty sure renault didn't fit a crossover, the Edge tweeters might fit in the same place the standard ones went... if you are lucky. They are just mounted on plastic pillars below the tweeter 'vents' in the top corners of the dash, they are not actually connected to the top dash at all. If they don't fit, I guess you could glue gun them,they are in plastic housing anyway and there should be plenty of space.

I haven't changed my tweeters yet... mainly down to the fact I will probably break something getting the top dash off and the fact I have no idea how the standard speakers are wired.