ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

subwoofer idea...

renault clio 1.2 16V
im not too sure if this has been done on here before but whats everyones view on taking out the spare wheel and putting a sub in that space?, this way i pretty much still have all of my boot space left.

renault clio 1.2 16V
i was thinking of just carrying a couple cans of tyre weld around with me in the unfortunate of a flat

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
im not too sure if this has been done on here before but whats everyones view on taking out the spare wheel and putting a sub in that space?, this way i pretty much still have all of my boot space left.

Unless you cover it with something substantial somehow, you'll probably have less than with a box.

10" in a sensible box on one side doesn't take up that much room really. Easy to remove if you need all the space available and you have your spare too.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
i done this in my old one...

02052010786.jpg

Audi A5
you want to buy this sub and amp i got, the sub box is built around the o/s rear turret and the amp is bolted to the bottom of a custom made parcel shelf..

im selling it now just havent got round to making a add for it. ill get a couple pictures up in a min.

Audi A5
IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

will come with all the wiring aswell just need's a head unit with pre out's ( i have a alpine or sony head unit forsale as well if you want tot do a deal ;) )

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What's the point?

You lose your spare wheel, you also lose the ability to put any unsecured items in your boot (since they could easily move to rest on the speaker cone. At least with a normal box it's pretty safe against other things in the boot.

K4M ph2
Ive got a grill on order for mine that will sort one of them problems, as for the spare tyre, a can of holts will do fine. to be honest any unsecured items in the boot are a hazard to a sub whether mounted in the wheel well or not, the cone is still open, i found out the hard way when i left an axle stand in the boot with my old sub in box, bloody thing punctured straight through the cone. silly me for not securing it down, but the concept is the same.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It's easier to protect a 'normal' sub though. With a well mounted sub you can have things roll onto it. Also a can of tyre weld is going to be like pissing on a forest fire to put it out if you had a blow out

I have a boot build with a false floor and sub in the spare wheel well. I like it, its well made (bought it second hand off here) and although its not the loudest it works for me.

K4M ph2
i dont see whats 'difficult' about installing a grill over the top of it? protected in 5 minutes, job done. as for the blow out, im allways local to where i live anyway so i can just get someone to run out my spare if needs be, any long journeys i can just strap the spare down in the boot. sometimes you just have to compromise, doesnt bother me in the slightest tbh. its nice to have something a bit different to the norm. :)

K4M ph2
I have a boot build with a false floor and sub in the spare wheel well. I like it, its well made (bought it second hand off here) and although its not the loudest it works for me.

I built mine myself out of mdf, my carpentry skills are crap lol, the floor was easy but the box came out pissed, nothing abit of sealent didnt fix mind. is your box sealed or ported? i bulit mine sealed at 1st and then ported it using a guide on the net, the sound quality and bass is much better now.

1.2 16v clio
you have a few options on fitting a sub in the spare wheel for one you have more then enough space as clios have huge wheel wells

what i would do is fibreglass an enclosure matching the specs the sub has to offer like 1 cube sealed etc make a false floor out of 18mm mdf thats slightly raised for ease of wiring you can even raise it level to the tailgate so you can fit your amps under there and following that all you need is a speaker grill for the sub so you can use the boot as normal with minimal risk of having stuff ontop of it its really quite simple to do and im not that great on wood work and fibreglassing

I built mine myself out of mdf, my carpentry skills are crap lol, the floor was easy but the box came out pissed, nothing abit of sealent didnt fix mind. is your box sealed or ported? i bulit mine sealed at 1st and then ported it using a guide on the net, the sound quality and bass is much better now.

Mine is sealed fibreglass and mdf.
clio2.jpg

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
You would be better off with a standard sealed box. Problem with sub on the floor it's easy to damage. I have a decent sub in the forsale section of you're interested. And an amp to power it.

1.2 16v clio
You would be better off with a standard sealed box. Problem with sub on the floor it's easy to damage. I have a decent sub in the forsale section of you're interested. And an amp to power it.

is this because your selling a sub lol you wont damage anything if you get covers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i done this in my old one...

02052010786.jpg

Doesnt exactly still give you use of the boot though sadly, not unless you have a panel to cover the sub in if you want to put something heavy in the boot? Or a grill at least as already mentioned.

Maplins sell metal speaker grills, I got one for my sub and its really strong. Also, not having a spare is hardly a massive problem I don't have one and got rid of the run flats so just bring a can of tyre weld. If I get a blow out then Il have to call the AA

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
182 doesnt have a spare anyway, and those owners seem to cope.

The problem is that the RAC will rescue a 182 as it didn't leave the factory with a spare. They [read: all recovery companies] have been less than interested in people who have removed their spare wheels "unnecessarily".

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The problem is that the RAC will rescue a 182 as it didn't leave the factory with a spare. They [read: all recovery companies] have been less than interested in people who have removed their spare wheels "unnecessarily".

I had no problem getting recovered by the RAC when my ex mrs popped the rear tyres on my mid engined nova doing donuts, that has no spare wheel (got an engine where the spare wheel used to be) but that was about 10 years ago so not sure what the attitude now would be.

Rs200
i would like to do this also what would i need to do would i need to pack the wheel well out with insulation or anything? ( new to subs etc.. )

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best bet is to make an enclosure that fits in the wheel well, the well itself isn't particularly rigid.