ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suicide Door

1.8 Civic EX
Quite literally!!

Ok so the drivers door on my valver never seems to shut properly. You just have close it gently to the latch the give it a quick shove to close it. It's done this for a while and while the car was at GDI not so long ago, they removed the door and "re-hung" it to see if it would sort it but didn't actually make any difference.

Just recently it has decided to start popping open whilst driving!! I've tried locking the door with the little switch on the centre console but it still pops open when hitting holes in the round or braking/cornering hard.

Only thing I can think of (and I'm realy hoping it's not this)...I have a strut brace and a small crease/dent in the roof just by the sunroof on the drivers side....could this be the culprit? could it be twisting the chasis so much that it's popping the door open??

any advice much appreciated.....

Renault Clio Mk1
Its a possibility spose you could just take of the strut for a while and see the outcome??

1.8 Civic EX
22 views and no other sugestions? even if it's just someone confirming for me that it is the strut brace. Would like to know before I go about removing it...

clio 16v
hiya, I have a valver too with a similar problem with my door but it doesn't pop open it just doesn't seen to shut properly, and sometimes it sticks. I don't have a strut brace but i am lowered on 17's. Been told by my garage that the stress on the car because its lowered shows at the weakest point witch is the sunroof, i have slight dimples by my sunroof,

I have also tried to re hang my door but that didn't work, he said there's not alot we can do

Hope this helps
Tracy

haha! Mine does this too! I am not alone! LoL :D

Mine stays shut if you lock it though, you just have to make sure that it's shut properly so the pop-up-thing on the door is as far down as it is when you shut the door from the outside :)

Just have to give it a good hard tug. ;) LoL

1.8 Civic EX
thats what was hinkg...but there must be something that causes it surely! specially as we all suffer from it! I've moving the lock in the door but it has no effect....

giving it a good hard tug is fine when the car ain't moving but when your haf way round a corner ar 40mph and the door flings open then a car comes the other way = mad panic and possible accident!

I don't mind the fact that it doesn't sgut if you clam it, it's the fact that it swings open whilst driving!!

1.8 Civic EX
ok, just had a play, opened window, shut door as tight as possible, leaned in and locked using the switch on centre console. grapped the door, pulled it and it opened. tried moving the latch a bit and the lock but nothing....

friend (mechanic) had a look and says I need a new lock....anyone got one going spare?

urgh, that's not good! Mine still holds fortunately! lol

Try any breakers or perhaps matt black, infinicar, matbrown, winston... (can't think of any more at the moment lol)

Reckon you just need the internal bit!

1.8 Civic EX
White16valver said:
Reckon you just need the internal bit!

yup thats the bit i want. just sent winston a pm. I don't have the time to get anywhere to find one which is a pain in the arse! may have to try renault tomorow morning b4 i go to london....

winston and mat black now have pm's!

clio1 1.8 16valve
try replacing the door hinges too they could be worn as well then least u know if u do that as well as the new lock in the door you have covered all angles on the door side