ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunsets - Tips

I can't get a decent capture of sunsets. None of the colours show up like they do in the sky and lots of bits are blown out.

I've tried different ISO settings, exposure compensation, different apertures ( I was shooting in aperture priority). The efforts are pure shite TBH, too ashamed to post them, just imagine a crap sunset pic. I did have the camera stabilised.

Any tips?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Take your meter reading off the sky, but a little bit away from the sun. Use a low aperture / high f-stop.

If you want to keep detail in something in the foreground move in close to it and take a meter reading and then move back and recompose.

Think that should do the job. :)

Take your meter reading off the sky, but a little bit away from the sun. Use a low aperture / high f-stop.

If you want to keep detail in something in the foreground move in close to it and take a meter reading and then move back and recompose.

Think that should do the job. :)

Meter reading? All I have is a little exposure bar on the D40.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Erm, bit awkard to explain.. when you half depress the shutter button and it focuses, the camera also takes a light reading, which is what you see on the exposure bar.

I was a bit presumptuous as I don't know if the D40 has this feature, but on my Canon there's an Exposure Lock button (or A-EL or something like that for short). You half depress the shutter to take the light reading, press the exposure lock button and then recompose. The camera keeps the original light reading but allows you to refocus the shot.

If it doesn't have this feature I imagine you will be ok as for a sunset shot with no foreground subject both the sky and the sun will be at infinity so you wouldn't need to re-focus anyway.

Hope this makes sense!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
d60 on auto ;)

Image00027.jpg

Image00028.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just keep trying pal. A few days ago I wouldn't have known what to say, but I've been reading up a lot on techniques recently. What I've told you is mostly theory, I've seen it work for other people, but only had limited tries myself!

Post some shots up when you feel happier with them, wouldn't mind seeing them. :)

Just keep trying pal. A few days ago I wouldn't have known what to say, but I've been reading up a lot on techniques recently. What I've told you is mostly theory, I've seen it work for other people, but only had limited tries myself!

Post some shots up when you feel happier with them, wouldn't mind seeing them. :)

I'll have to try again next weekend (away all week, and take enough s**t with me without taking camera too lol)

Oh and andy, auto is for cheats ;)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Took this about half an hour ago, SOOC apart from a crop and the border. Couldn't see the sun from where I was sat, so the colours aren't that dramatic and it slightly misses the point of the thread, but hopefully it gives you something to go off. Gotta say I like those shots taken on Auto, Andy!

f22fa06d.gif

ISO 200 | f/22 | 20s | 50mm | AWB

If I had time to take the shot again I'd probably try it a a slightly wider aperture.. but the sun has disappeared now!

Sure I've seen some good shots out of your window on Flickr, Gaz? Were they not sunset shots?

Edit: to slow!

DSLR's take flat pictures unless you change the settings for sharpness, contrast etc in camera. Stick them in photoshop, up the contrast a little and they'll look less flat instantly.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hmm not sure tbh, only things I can suggest is that maybe your white balance is off and the sky could be a bit overexposed, so the colours are washing out a bit. I thought the tree was blurred due to movement but they are only short exposures, so maybe next time try focusing on that after taking the light reading from the sky?

A longer exposure leaves more time for light to enter so the colours will be more vibrant. Like you see in mine though you get cloud movement as a consequence and a lack of sharpness on the leaves. I reckon about f/16 would work best.

Having said all that though, I like them, they're on the way to being canvas-on-the-wall type shots!

Edit: That bottom one I love! Think it's probably the one I commented on.

FF RB 182
Edit: to slow!

DSLR's take flat pictures unless you change the settings for sharpness, contrast etc in camera. Stick them in photoshop, up the contrast a little and they'll look less flat instantly.

I've been playing with them in Adobe Camera Raw, but I still can't get them looking anything like it did in reality. Wish the D40 had exposure bracketing...

FF RB 182
Hmm not sure tbh, only things I can suggest is that maybe your white balance is off and the sky could be a bit overexposed, so the colours are washing out a bit. I thought the tree was blurred due to movement but they are only short exposures, so maybe next time try focusing on that?

A longer exposure leaves more time for light to enter so the colours will be more vibrant. Like you see in mine though you get cloud movement as a consequence and a lack of sharpness on the leaves. I reckon about f/16 would work best.

Having said all that though, I like them, they're on the way to being canvas-on-the-wall type shots!

Edit: That bottom one I love! Think it's probably the one I commented on.

It was windy TBH.

Aye you have commented on that one ;)

FF RB 182
Some follow up shots from gaz;

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

These first four were from saturday, just somehow got overlooked.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

These 2 were from tonight. He's also bought "understanding exposure".

Megane Mk4
As said, make sure you haven't got the sun directly in the middle, minimises glare. For sunset shots I used either ISO200 or 400 depending on my mood, I seem to get better shots from ISO200 for things like this.

Examples of glare
ISO200 at 1/500 sec shutter speed at 55mm - f11
2434384169_ef642a6186.jpg

ISO400 at 1/1000 shutter speed, 300mm - f5.6
2389713585_097020f192.jpg

ISO200 at 1/640 shutter speed at 170mm - f4.8
3323164519_2a3d009c42.jpg

These after the sun went down.
ISO200 at 1/500 shutter speed at 110mm - f5.6
2034852175_75d4131f5f.jpg

ISO200 at 1/200 shutter speed at 82mm - f5.6
3323999402_7fdf7734c0.jpg

ISO200 at 1/200 shutter speed at55mm - f7.1
1794015119_6e3e27cf70.jpg

Btw ... None of these saw photoshop, these are how they came off the camera and none of them were tripod shots either.

Last edited: